Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njstaffer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I currently own my own very small multimedia company called Andrew's Entertainment. I make highlight movies for schools, parties, and random orginizations and I also have made a few successful recruiting videos. I used to use and iMac G3, Tower G3, and Final Cut Pro 3. I have now have a iMac G5, no video camera, and no editing software.

What camera would you recommend that is good quality at a nice, low, college-student budget? Also, should I purchase Final Cut Express HD and then DVD Studio Pro 4, or should I just go and buy Final Cut Studio? (All purchases would be using the Edjucational discount.)

Any comments would help!

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
njstaffer said:
I currently own my own very small multimedia company called Andrew's Entertainment. I make highlight movies for schools, parties, and random orginizations and I also have made a few successful recruiting videos. I used to use and iMac G3, Tower G3, and Final Cut Pro 3. I have now have a iMac G5, no video camera, and no editing software.

What camera would you recommend that is good quality at a nice, low, college-student budget? Also, should I purchase Final Cut Express HD and then DVD Studio Pro 4, or should I just go and buy Final Cut Studio? (All purchases would be using the Edjucational discount.)

Any comments would help!
Yeah you could do FCE and DVD Pro, but for just a bit more you can get the whole Pro suite (don't know if Motion and Soundtrack pro are worth it to you - they weren't for me).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
njstaffer said:

Any comments would help!

How much are you looking to invest in a camera? Less than 1k? Less than 2k? And I agree w/the other posters that if you don't foresee needing Motion and Soundtrack Pro to just get FCE HD and DVD SP 4. I also have to be "that guy" that reminds you that it violates your license agreement w/Apple to use Edu software for commercial purposes.

Lethal

njstaffer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Oklahoma
LethalWolfe said:
How much are you looking to invest in a camera? Less than 1k? Less than 2k? And I agree w/the other posters that if you don't foresee needing Motion and Soundtrack Pro to just get FCE HD and DVD SP 4. I also have to be "that guy" that reminds you that it violates your license agreement w/Apple to use Edu software for commercial purposes.

Lethal

I'm looking for a camera less than 1k. Thanks for the info about the license agreement. I didn't know that you couldn't sell anything if you used Educational software. Thx.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
under 1k you are better off finding either a nice new JVC/Sony single CCD or a nice used 3CCD Sony like the TRV900 or 950.

Depending on what you will eventually use the camera for, you would want some sort of "manual" controls like focus, exposure etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.