Advice on graphics card choice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gabriel_uk, Jun 29, 2005.

1. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

Can someone knowledgeable please tell me the different kinds of software that depend on, or benefit from, a high-end graphics card like the Radeon X850 XT - as opposed to a standard card like the Radeon 9600?

Is it definitely just action games such as Doom 3 and motion graphics software like Motion 2?

If you're buying a G5, but you're not using this kind of software right now, is it best to wait until the day you do use something like Motion 2 before you upgrade your graphics card? (So you get the best value card at the time.)

Any tips would be much appreciated! :)

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The faster the GPU, the faster you system runs (Tiger). It's not only games and Motion, but its also CoreImage accelerator. But if you dont use hi-end software like motion and dont play hi-end games like Doom3, Rad9600 is a great choice. See barefeats.com for comparisons and more

3. gabriel_uk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I've looked at barefeats, by the way, and find it really useful.

But what I really want to know is considering that I may want to try a hi-end game sometime in the next year or two, is it better to wait and get a future hi perfomance graphics card when I need one? Or get Apple to instal an Radeon X850 XT in a 2.3 G5 now - so I have one ready?

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Games in the next few years will be much more GPU-intesive, so you should buy new graphics card as soon as you feel you need it. By the way, today's top-of-the-line cards will be very cheap in a few years, or you could buy GeForce 9800 Super Cool Ultra when its released? ;)

5. gabriel_uk thread starter macrumors regular

Really appreciate that, thanks!

Colchester, England salutes Vladivostok, Russia! :) :p

6. efoto macrumors 68030

If you don't see yourself playing high-end games for one or two years, you might as well save your money because the high end games in two years won't run well on the X850 XT that you have installed today if you get it. That said, getting it today does give you the piece of mind for all the current high end games, so if in a year you want to play what is current today, you will be able to quite well. Technology moves lickety split fast, so if you don't need it NOW, it is probably smarter to wait because usually speeds go up and prices come down, win win as long as you have patience.

7. gabriel_uk thread starter macrumors regular

efoto, you always give such great articulate advice, for sure - thanks! :eek:

8. efoto macrumors 68030

Main Entry: ar·tic·u·late
    Pronunciation: är-'ti-ky&-l&t
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin articulatus jointed, past participle of articulare, from articulus
    1 a : divided into syllables or words meaningfully arranged : INTELLIGIBLE b : able to speak c : expressing oneself readily, clearly, or effectively; also : expressed in this manner
    2 a : consisting of segments united by joints : JOINTED <articulate animals> b : distinctly marked off
    - ar·tic·u·late·ly adverb
    - ar·tic·u·late·ness noun

I think he meant definition 2a: united or jointed segments.
    Thanks for the comment, a compliment even! :eek: I won't comment to the deservidness of said compliment, but thank you for it anyway. It is nice to know that someone appreciates your ranting every once and a while ;)

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hehe no problem! :D