Advice on HD for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G5Unit, Oct 26, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am out of room on my Powermac G5. I need a new harddrive. I want to get at least a 350 gb HD(internal) yet I don't know the specs it needs to be. Also, where can I get a really cheap 10,000 rpm boot drive? Just enough space to hold Tiger on it. (1.8Ghz single)

2. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Thanks iGary! But has anyone had a good experience with any of these?

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I like Seagate...I personally have never realized much of a speed boost from a 10,000 rpm drive. I have ordered many time from OWC - they're great.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, to answer the original question...

You need a Serial ATA (SATA) 3.5" hard drive. You have room for only ONE additional hard drive in a PowerMac G5, unless you put in some expensive add-ons.

You can get them in 250, 300 and 400 Gb sizes, 7200 RPM is standard now, and you want one with 8 Mb or 16 Mb of cache onboard. You also want a 3 - 5 year warranty, look out for discounters who sell OEM or 'pull' drives with zero to 1 year warranty. Stay away.
    Seagate Barracuda is my fave, 5 year warranty. The new Hitachis are good too.

There is no such thing as a cheap 10,000 RPM drive, much less a really cheap one.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

I have one of the 300GB maxtor drives with 16MB cache, and I swear by it. It is a really good drive, and they have a discount in tiger.com.
    A soon as I can sell my 160Gb drive I will get another one. Unless they come out with a bigger one!!