Advice on iTrip/car accessories for ipod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by paulwesley, May 29, 2004.

1. paulwesley macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a roadtrip coming up, and looking at connecting my ipod to my car stereo. My casette adapter has been flaking out on me. Has anyone had bad (or good?) luck with the iTrip, or other FM transmitters? I'm a little skeptical, but I've never tried one...

Also looking for cigarette lighter-power cord adapter. Anyone had bad luck with any of these?

Thanks! :)
  2. theimacguy macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2004

The iTrip is bad. It destroyed my iPod mini when I plugged it in! :mad:
  3. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004

Don't listen to that guy. I use my iTrip all the time. It works great.

I took a road trip from St. Louis to Colorado to go skiing. Used the iTrip the whole way. No problems.

Anyways, the only problems you may have is finding a good radio frequency. Since you have a cassette player, the tape adapter is really the way to go for several reasons. You can't really distort it like you can the iTrip...You don't have to work about finding a good frequency. Always clean as opposed to the sometimes poor signal you can get from the iTrip. (That was advice from an Apple Store employee)

So, to recap. iTrip good...Cassette adapter better, and cheaper. Just didn't want you to listen to that guy because the iTrip is actually a great great device for us who have cd-only stereo systems.
  4. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    Power cord

My cigarette power adapter is made by Belkin. Picked it up at the apple store for 30 bucks i think.
  5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I love my iTrip. I have one for my 1st gen iPod and my mini. Both work really well and I use them all the time. I would go with the cassette adaptor as well, but the itrip is really good otherwise. I don't have a tape player, so I have little choice. But anyway, I highly reccommend it. You may have to hunt for a free frequency in the big cities, but it still works really well.