Advice on Logitech Marble Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ScarletRed, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ScarletRed macrumors regular

ScarletRed

I have been using a Logitech FX Marble Trackman trackball for about 10 years now and I have been very happy with it. Now that I recently bought a MacBook Pro, I was thinking about buying another trackball but FX Marble Trackmans are no longer in production. There is one for sale on either amazon or ebay for over $400! But I did come across something similar to the Trackman and it's called the Marble Mouse by Logitech. When I was reading the item description, it said:

Mac OS 8.6-9.x (excluding OS X)

Would this mean that the installation driver for the trackball won't be fully compatible with OS X 10.4.5? Advice from those who own this particular model would be appreciated

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You mean this one?

I've got two. One with scroll buttons and one without them. They're compatible with the latest version of Mac OS X. You just need to download a newer version of the Logitech Control Center software for compatibility.

3. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Yes, that's the one

Could you please show me the version with a scroll wheel built in? I thought there was only one version (the one shown in your link).

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

look at the pic in his link. the little buttons at the side of the big buttons are for scrolling. theres one on each side and theyre assignable to do anything with the logitech drivers.

like the other poster ive used both versions of this trackball and now i cant go back to a mouse. i dont use the scroll buttons though. and you need to pick up the ball and clean the ball bearings every so often (with alcohol).

youll be happy with this product.

5. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Thank you. I placed it on order from provantage.com. They're selling these at $11.99 each! Plus $4.95 for S&H, they're still an excellent bargain.

I wish Logitech would make something like Laser Marble Trackball mouse. Just like the Marble Mouse in design based on laser tracking technology.