Advice on Looking Scene

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amateurmacfreak, Jul 12, 2006.

1. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Okay, so, next year some friends and I are going to have "Scene Day," where we all try to look as much like scene kids as possible and we're all going to make a million pictures of ourselves with our hXc faces. It's going to be awesooome. Haha
    I was just wondering if anybody had ideas on what to wear and where to buy it, where to get make-up from, etc. etc.
    Both ideas for males and females are appreiciated, and I personally also need hair advice. I have long blonde hair which I'm not willing to cut, so obviously I can't have the black choppy hair characteristic of scene girls. I was thinking relxed pony tails with different colors of hair stuff going through it, but if I can get my hands on some temporary (stuff that only lasts about a month) hair dye I'm willing to perhaps dye my hair black. How does that sound?
    So, yes, this is a weird post, but any ideas anyone? We're all super-excited for this... it will be the most rad thing ever. And it's almost a year away at Duke TIP, but.... we're getting an early start planning. :eek:
    Any ideas are MUCH appreiciated!!

2. CompUser Guest

When you say "scene kids" do you mean "emo" people?

If so for guys black hair, eye liner, tight pants, tight shirt that says something stupid. For girls... you can keep your blond hair- just wear those pants that have the chains connecting from one part to another.

Why are you doing this?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

For girls, try to find some red cowboy boots or something, but make sure you only wear them with a short dress-type thing. Also, have a huge purse with dinosaurs or something else on it. For the hair, your best bet would probably be the loose pony tail idea you had. Also, make sure your cell phone is in your hands at all times. Try to make it look like your always texting.

For guys, try to find the ugliest shoes imaginable. Maybe something with a really pointy/gross toe area. Have them wear some tight jeans or something, and for a t-shirt go to a Goodwill or used clothing store and find something there. Make sure that their hair is always covering one of their eyes, and occasionally have them whip their head back to get the hair out the eye.

Most of all, you need to make sure you are REALLY REALLY annoying.

EDIT: I almost completely forgot. Make sure the guys have bandanas around their necks.

4. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Because it's random and fun and will be hilarious?? :eek: :)

And thanks for the advice everyone!

And scene is quite similar to emo. Just a little less sad and more colorful.

5. iShane macrumors 6502a

Umm. I would also suggest tight jeans and make your hair kinda like across your eyes. Wear like retro jewelry like necklaces and such. Sounds like fun. :)

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Here's an entry from urban dictionary that is pretty spot-on:

A 'scene kid' is a person who conforms to the current trends promoted by the punk/goth/emo/hardcore music genres in order to appear cool.

Scene Kids...

Scene Boy:
    Has black Hair covering the face,wears eyeliner, eye shadow (sometimes and is usually pink)and has an ever increasing in size flesh tube/plug in the ear.

Usually has a lip piercing

Will wear a tight black t-shirt with a random band or band endorsed clothing label pictured on the front.
    Adorns tight jeans, white belt with big buckle and either wearing converse or checked slip on shoes.

Has an obbession with guns and stars.
    Attends many hardcore shows dances like a fool (if at all) and talks about obscure random bands which you will not know cos there cooler than you.
    Kisses boys every now an then because scene girls like it.
    Has thousands of myspace friends all of which are scene girls just to look cool and takes billions of pictures of themselves in tuff guy poses.
    They also like tattoos and would get one if there rich mommy and daddy would let them.

Scene Girl:
    Has dyed hair, Black/Blonde is a popular combination. Wears black eyeliner and coloured eyeshadow. Has the piercings pretty much the same as the scene boy the lip being the crucial one (the septum is also popular).
    Adores leopard print tops or any animal print...
    polka dots are also a trademark...
    A bow in the hair is common...
    Immatation pearl necklaces hanging from there necks...
    And has the same interests as the scene boy.. stars, guns, myspace, hardcore shows, stupid hardcore dancing etc etc.

7. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I adore Urban Dictionary. I was actually thinking about linking to their scene kid definitions. Thanks for sharing that one. :)

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

scene kids wear girl jeans and rainbow wristbands. so gay, i hate those kids.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Haha, yeah some of those entries get pretty vulgar. Funny stuff.

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

wear a colorful pair of chuck taylors or CT-esk type shoes. Teal, pink, or checkered is would be excellent. Also, a baby doll style black tee would suit that nicely, and a pair of rip jeans if you have them. Do you hair up and you'll be set ;)

Oh a checkered bag would be good too, or you could throw a million little pins on one. This is going along with the make up suggestions above.

11. tomokun macrumors member

tomokun

Hi kids, welcome to classism 101... Where we support stupid made-up stereotypes that we decide to create *or* go out of our way to follow in high school.

Seriously why bother?

12. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yes, do hot-pink and black checkered Vans work? I already have those. :eek: Gotta love Vans, even if they are kind of scene or emo... haha :)

EDIT: How this scarf?? And how about some bag from Pixel Girl Shop??

13. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

We're kind of making fun of the stereotypes. We don't want to be scene, but we're just going along with it to have an excuse for a day to take millions of pictures of ourselves and force guys to wear eyeliner... it's a random teenage thing, but it's fun. It's not like we're taking ourselves oh-so-seriously.

The way the idea came up was in an im conversation. I was talking about hot pink eye shadow to a guy from TIP and it... spiraled into this.

14. vniow macrumors G4

Wow, I never knew. Here I am thining that ****ing the same gender is gay when in reality it has all to do with clothing.

We need more boys like that.

Yum.

15. tomokun macrumors member

tomokun

Uh yeah, and you dont have to be gay or scene to wear either of those. Well, I suppose that wearing rainbow wristbands in the orders of orange-red-yellow-green-blue-purple would give off the idea of "gay" or piece, depending on how you identify those colors.

Oh and girlpants on guys are gross. Seriously, ive tried them on. I can understand wearing slightly fitted pants, but buying girlpants, omg. Its painful in certain regions.

16. CompUser Guest

If I did that in middle school, or at my high school now, they probably would have me suspended for "offending" people.

In middle school we were not allowed to dress up for halloween, but we are at the high school. Curious is it not.

17. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Gotta love guys who will put on eyeliner. :p

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

the scarf is a definite go, the bag's link has multiples so i don't know which one you have. If it is one with the anime style girl like this i would advise against it, but some of those bags would be good.

19. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I think this could work, but I don't exactly want to spend $60 on something I may not use much.... could I make something like that work??

Thanks for the advice. :)

20. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i actually think the second one is better, the racoon seems too happy and silly. :p

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thank you, being almost 48yo this month - I was at a loss of what a "scene kid" was. Will now crawl back in to my cave. :D

22. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm 18 and I didn't know what is was either :p :p :p

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I didn't know the term... but after reading the description I just think to myself, "Oh... you mean all the kiddies who were screaming at Yellowcard and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs*."

*I really do like the YYYs, just not so much the crowd I saw there.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thank you. Now I don't feel "that" old. :)

25. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha. I described it to my parents and they were just like... "Huh??"
    And I've had to describe it to a million of my friends too! :p