Advice on MacBook Pros / Using with Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alextrup, Jun 26, 2006.

1. alextrup macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've read a lot of mixed things about the latest MacBook Pros and was wondering if some users could clarify a couple of points, as I am interested in buying one.

- There have been lots of reports of overheating (with effects such as batteries swelling etc.) By overheating, do people mean the machines are turning off? Is this a regular occurance?

- To install Windows on a MacBook in Boot Camp or Parallels, do you need to buy a full copy of Windows? Can I use an OEM copy that came with an old Windows machine that I no longer use (so I am still only using 1 license)?

- Has anyone run AutoCAD 2006 in Parallels/BootCamp - does the 3D features of this work ok? I heard it is probably limited in Parallels.

Any advice regarding this purchase would be much appreciated, as I previously bought a Toshiba laptop without thorough research and now a year on - it constantly shuts down due to overheating...

Thanks,

Alex

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

What I really hope to see is someone's MBP catching on fire in the middle of the night, burning down someone's apartment, and killing a Mac user.

Perhaps then it will drive into whichever Genius' head that yes, it is ok for the fan in Macs to actually spin like the rest of the PC world.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I put XP on my MBP, and used it twice, i've not booted into it much, realising that windows just plain sucks in comparison to OS X. (im a new mac user, and ex-die-hard windows user)...

my Macbook Pro never overheats, makes noises or has any problems.. it's brilliant, the best thing i've spent money on for a long time..

you need any copy of XP that has SP2 built in. (oem or not)..

toshiba and apple are like chalk and cheese. worlds apart, in every way.

I've not looked back, I hope thats some incentive for you...

4. alextrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that.

Yeah I got a Mac Mini G4 and an old G4 tower, but I'm particularly keen to find out about these Intels

Cybix: May I ask when you bought your MBP? Just wondering if it is the latest batch and if they may have sorted out those early problems by the time you bought it...

I wish I didn't have to load Windows, but I have to run AutoCAD and a couple of other apps...

5. turtlebud macrumors 6502

My MBP runs pretty hot after awhile (maybe an hour or so) working on it sitting on my desk. It's pretty hot where my palms rest and also where the speakers are. No problems with it shutting down or anything, but it's pretty warm to the touch when I'm typing on it.

For Boot Camp, you will need a full XP Home or Pro SP2 install disk. For parallels, you can install Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, or 2003. Not sure if you need a full install version or whether OEM will work. There is a 15 day trial version of parallels, so if you know someone that has a MBP, they can try to install windows with your OEM install disk and see if it works.