Advice on Making a Photo Book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ugg, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My grandmother died last fall at the age of 98. She had a phenomenal number of photo albums and even more loose photos that my father and I have slowly identified. It was really quite fascinating to learn so much about my family (there are more than a few skeletons in the proverbial closet). Now that everything's been more or less organized I'll start scanning them. When I'm done with that I want to create a photo book.

Since I have a lot of text to go along with the photos (family history type stuff), I've found that the book offered by Apple through iPhoto, just isn't what I need. Plus, I've read on the Apple forums that the quality isn't that great.

I've been thinking that instead of using a cookie cutter approach like Apple's and many of the others out there, it would be great to just create a Photoshop document with all my text and photos laid out exactly as I want them to be and then have the printer take over. The problem is, I don't own Photoshop and don't know how to use it.

So, could anyone recommend a company whose Photo Books would suit my needs and any reasonably priced and easy to use software like Photoshop?

TIA

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm sorry I'm not able to recommend anyone, but there is another thread in this very section of the forums that is called "iPhoto Book reviewed" which talks about the quality.

In the past when you sent your photos to apple they were printed at 180 DPI which was horrible quality, but now they are at 300 DPI which supposibly makes a better look. On text and what not I do not know becuase I've never used photobook. Check out that thread though because the guys there have alot of good things to say about it. Perhaps they'd also have some helpful information.

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Thanks!

This is a project that I want to turn out well so while I'm encouraged by those reviews, I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has tried other publishers. It's sort of a moot point now, as I still have hundreds of photos to scan. I'm just looking to have it all together by Christmas.

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I don't know if Kodak does this for pictures, but for Film you can send in Mini DV and write down the clips you want in, and then turn it into a professionaly looking DVD. Perhaps they also do something like this for photographs. Just a guess...

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hi. I was also reading that Apple Books are lower quality. Although you don't have any more text control, you might try installing the "MyPublisher" plug-in for iPhoto. Therefore, when you hit "Buy Book" it directs you to the MyPublisher page. I just ordered a book from them and it is suppost to ship tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is. Also, I dont know if you use Windows at all :)eek: ) but the same company also has a Book Maker for Windows. You might check into that to see if it has more text options.. Oh, and I got the book to showcase my Photography. I will post pictures of it when I get it.

Good Luck, Kevin

6. stephens2 macrumors newbie

7. stephens2 macrumors newbie

"Hi,
    Though I am very late on this post but I believe if my suggestion can help someone, its worth replying! I had been searching for photo book software too and recently came across http://www.smilebooks.com. I started work with my last 3 years photos of various events and wow! I am really impressed with their quality output. Their simple and easy to use software does not need you to have any designing knowledge. And it is affordable too.
    "