advice on new hard drive purchase for my powerbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by krossfyter, Dec 19, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay I am in need of the expierenced, seasoned mac guys on here on finding which hard drive is best for my powerbook. Its a 667 powerbook g4 (rev. c). I have looked around but im not sure which one is generally better then the rest... which brand that is. Should I go with travelstar, western digital or maxtor or anything else for that matter? I am looking at the 60gb ones and at least a 40 gb with 5400 speed.... and i am willing to spend a little over 200 bucks. Thanks for any help you all are able to provide.

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

dang seems like im talking to myself... dont mean to! heh

can anyone vouch if the HITACHI TravelStar 60 GB is good or not? should i not go with hitachi?

4. rjrufo macrumors regular

I believe that the origional HD in the PB's are the Travelstar, though I could be wrong. I really can't help much more than that, since I've not yet purchased a new HD for mine.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But it was probably called an IBM drive back then, seems Hitachi is making the transition to their own name now.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Check out this test for performance numbers comparing 7200vs5400vs4200 rpm drives.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html

You can get the 60gb 7200rpm drive for about $250 US and it would be the best choice if you wanted more performance.

Otherwise if performance is not too much of a concern get either a 4200 or 5400 rpm drive in the largest size you see fit (they come with a 3 year warranty).

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah thanks i think im going to go with that hitachi 60gb 7200 drive. its what i need.