Advice on older iBook or PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexstein, Nov 9, 2005.

1. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    My brother is in the marked for an older iBook or PowerBook. He basically will use it for:

- surfing the web
    - email
    - organizing his music and pictures
    - maybe some light photo editing work (very light)

that's about it. Nothing heavy. The only requirement I would have that is that the iBook or PowerBook should be able to handle Tiger or at least Panther. I'm only asking since I'm somewhat new to macs and I don't know which models to avoid or to get.

Which one would be a better choice given a 400-500 dollar budget.
    Thank you.
  2. chopsuey158 macrumors member

Aug 24, 2004
    I payed $500 a couple months ago for an ibook G3. It is 500mhz, cd rom, bright screen and new battery and an 80 gig hard drive. This would probably do for your brother, I do all the things you listed quite easily. I may have payed too much, but the large hard drive is nice if you want to have lots of music and pictures and what not. You should also look into wireless, it's nice.
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005

I was looking at them when I wanted to get a used iBook/Powerbook. Then again for $699-899 you can get a refurbished iBook off of
  4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    I think any Powerbook G4 or white iBook should smoothly handle everything he uses. I haven't tried Tiger on it, but Panther and all the tasks you mentioned run fine on the original G4 400 Powerbook, and I'm sure the same is true for any white (not the clamshell!) iBooks.
  5. alexstein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies.

I was actually thinking the same thing that an older G4 iBook or PowerBook would be more than enough for him. I don't now about a G3 though since he like to use it for a while.

Thanks again.