Advice on PBook upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wattage, Oct 15, 2005.

1. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I have a 667 pbook, 30GB hd, external 150GB Lacie, ext. Lacie D2 DL DVD-R/RW. Is it worth upgrading the processor? Or should I upgrade the HD (15gb iTunes lib, 5gb iPhoto lib). Any suggestions for specific upgrades and locations?? Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Umm... How were you planning to upgrade the CPU? I recommend just leaving it. There's really not much point upgrading such an old machine, you'll just hit bottleneck after bottleneck. :eek:

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Yea, I agree with madjew. I've had that machine. Throw in a 7200rpm hd and max out the ram -- you'll be happy you did. Those 4200rpm OEM drives suck.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have that exact Powerbook, and I noticed a big speed bump after upping the RAM to 768MB and adding a 7200rpm HD in there. I know there's some place that'll let you send them your Powerbook and they'll put in a new logic board with a 1.2Ghz G4 on it, but I think it's between $400 - $500, which makes it too much to be worth it, in my book.

I'd say try the RAM and HD upgrade, and if you still feel it's too slow, just get a new Powerbook. Oh, and put the 7200rpm drive in the new one, too.

5. pigwin32 macrumors regular

Yep, same here, and Hitachi are now doing a 100 GB 7200rpm drive. I dropped the 60GB drive into my TiBook and it was like a new machine.

6. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

wattage

Thanks guys, I would like to upgrade the RAM and HD, if I can only do one at a time, which first? Also, who should install the HD, I'm not very technical and don't want to *^%$ it up.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You should go with a RAM upgrade first, and see if that speeds things up enough for you. You can easily install that yourself on a TiBook, just lift up the keyboard and there are instructions on the back of it.

If you wanna risk the HD install on your own, go to pbfixit.com and look up a guide on how to do it. i don't know who to recommend other than that, though.

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

But can you buy them anywhere? When i was looking for a new drive (about 4 months ago) i came across the mythical 100GB 7200 rpm drive on hatachi's website. Problem was no one in the world was actually selling them at that time.
    I ended up with a 100GB 5400 rpm drive (and that was about $200).

9. California macrumors 68040

California

So you ended up with a 100gb drive in the Tibook? How's it running? And hopefully you added ram?

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Its in my 12" Alu book, and it was a royal pain to put in. I would of never of done it, but the original drive failed (1 month outside the warranty). I didn't notice much a a speed increase. Some things load faster, but thats about it.