Advice on Powerbook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by erickg, Jul 21, 2005.

1. erickg macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    I am currently contemplating whether or not I should bid in an online auction on a 15" powerbook G4 1.67 GHz. I am quite sure that the seller is honest, however he doesn't have the original receipt for the powerbook and doesn't think it is still covered by Apple's one-year warranty. I asked him if he would be able to send me the serial number of the powerbook and he said he would later this week.

I read on the forums that you should be able to use Apple's warranty (even without the receipt) so long as the previous owner agrees to transfer the registration to your name or has not yet registered the product. Is there any way I could check whether or not the powerbook is already registered with Apple. It would be great to buy a relatively new powerbook at a great price and get the warranty the powerbook is still entitled to. :)
  2. Romulan macrumors member

Aug 10, 2004
    Could post the link to the auction. Don't worry, i don't intend on bidding :p
  3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Seems strange they are telling you the Powerbook is not covered under warranty. That model came out in very late January, so it would have to still be under warranty.

When I sold my iBook, Apple told me they service the machine no matter who has it. They told me to tell the new owner to go to , and they would then have them on record as the second owner.
  4. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    :) Unfortunately it's in Swedish. Basically it's the standard version of the 15" with superdrive, but has maxed out ram. The bidding is currently at about 1100 USD.
  5. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    I know, the model isn't old at all. It definitely should be under warranty. That's great news that they just put you on record as the second owner! :) I'll have to call Apple and double-check that the laptop hasn't been called in stolen as well. Thanks a lot powerbook911!