Advice on Pro Tools...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by XraggedX, Feb 19, 2006.

1. XraggedX macrumors member

XraggedX

Digidesign will be coming out with a UB version of ProTools LE 7 in May. I was holding out on getting PT for my new iMac/XPS Laptop because i didnt want to pay for the system and have to buy an upgrade later. But Digidesign stated that they will offer a free upgrade. I was thinking about purchasing the Digi002 system now and running on my laptop untill the Universal Version in May.

I have always used Sonar and never used Pro Tools so getting Digi002 early would be a chance to learn the software and hardware.

Does a Mac AND a Windows Version of the software come with the Package? and do you think this is a smart idea, or is there some reason i would want to hold off till may?

Thank for the help.

2. alep85 macrumors regular

alep85

OMG, YES! Universal support for Pro Tools soon! What a great announcement, I was afraid that they might do like they did in the OS 9 to OS X transition and wait past a year! Looks like I DID make a smart choice in moving my mobile audio recording system over from the 12 inch PB to the MacBook, in just a little time it will pay off!

My older MBox came with both Windows and Mac OS X versions, but that was back in the 6.1 days. I don't know what they do now, although I would ASSUME they would still distribute both CD's in the box instead of having a Mac version and a Windows version to ship. Hope this helps a little

3. Quantum Man macrumors member

Well if you can get a free upgrade to UB come May, I see no reason why you should not get it now. I love Pro Tools, it is terrific software. The only drawback is you're forced to use their hardware. But I like the software enough to look past that. ;)

4. airkarol macrumors 6502

Pro Tools = Amazing =D

I use Pro Tools every day, it's great software. I'm also looking foward to the UB release. I purchased Pro Tools, and it came with CDs for Mac OS X 10.4, Windows, and Mac OX X older than 10.4. Good Luck! I'm sure you'll love the software.

5. XraggedX thread starter macrumors member

XraggedX

I went ahead and picked up the Digi 002 and have been trying to get everything running on my Dell XPS (gen1) Laptop. and am having quite a number of problems. I have a gut feeling that the issue might be with the onboard firewire port. But i have no clue. After school today i plan on getting someone from Digidesign Tech Support on the phone.

Wish Me Luck!!!!!!

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Generally it's more of a pain running 'Tools under windoze, we have a few systems at a remote site.

Is your FW port a 3rd party on or built-in? you may need to update the card driver.

Have fun...

7. XraggedX thread starter macrumors member

XraggedX

It seems like Pro Tools is pushing the use of windows lately, so i figured it wouldnt be this hard....

my main goal is to have this running on my new iMac ASAP, but till then wanted to get farmilliar with the interface on my windows machine untill the Universal Binary Patch. so if i cant get it running that would suck, but i wont be losing out completely.

The FireWire is a built in 4 pin, and i run system updates frequenty on my laptop so i stay up-to-date and "secure" (only can laugh about that) on windows. so i beleive the drivers are fine.... ~shrug~ but i'll check again when im home.

I have also tried to run threw a CardBus/PCMCIA Firewired card. with the same results.

:(

8. Quantum Man macrumors member

When I first got my MBox 1, which connects to your computer via USB, Pro Tools couldn't work on my PC for some reason. I tried updating the drivers for my USB PCI card and then it worked fine. When I got my Mac, first time plugging in my MBox and starting PT, it worked flawlessly. :D

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

That seems to be the way of it Quantam Man, PC's need to be fiddled with, Macs just get on with it...:D

I have friends and students who run PT on windoze quite successfully, so it can be done, but the sheer number of different hardware/OS configurations on a PC are a nightmare for developers.

We have a bunch of the 002 interfaces at the Uni, good boxes, but treat it carefully it doesn't like knocks.

10. LaoTzu macrumors member

PT on Windows??

I have heard this, anf they have a version, but never have I seen anyone USE PT on Windows....
    ( It's buggy as heck on Mac now also.... disappointing )

On my experiences, and trying to help students, I urge everyone to stay away.... you want M Audio hardware, buy it, but not as draconian PT tie in, to milk you forever....

That company irritates me.....

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

really? it's been rock solid on my macs, version after version, mac after mac, desktop and laptop.

what are you doing wrong?

12. Quantum Man macrumors member

PT on my Mac at home/school/work is solid as well. Very stable.

13. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

All our Macs at college are running ProTools, and they're all rock solid.

I like it.

14. airkarol macrumors 6502

I've been running Pro Tools on Windows XP the past few weeks, while I wait for the MBP. It works fine, but the interface doesn't work as easy. I had to go through a lot of the settings on the computer and install the driver 3 times until it finally worked.