Advice on return?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Osarkon, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hi, my little macbook has developed the Random Shutdown Syndrome.

In normal conditions, I'd get it fixed. However, at the moment i'm at university. I haven't got the time to mess around with all that. As much as I love my mac, I can't afford to have it doing things like this. So when I ring applecare in the morning (they're shut now) I want a full refund, not a replacement, sadly. I'll probably get another mac in the future, but for now i need something reliable. It's a custom build mac (i upped the ram to a gig on the apple store), can i get a straight replacement? I've got a nasty feeling i've read that I can't..

Anybody know their procedure in regard to this?
    Cheers.

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

have you ever had it serviced?

i dont think you can get a refund (unless its within 14 days, and then u subtract restocking fee) just because the random shutdown (you can ask tho)

3. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

no,i haven't. this is the first problem i've had with it. :(

4. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

No luck, rang them and was told I'd have to take it to the nearest apple store. there isn't one anywhere near here, at least a 4 hour journey away. I explained i'm at university and can't be dealing with this but they said there was nothing they could do. Great.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

thats bullsh*t... call them back, be firm but polite, and demand to speak to a 2nd or 3rd level cusotmer service supervisor. Explain your situation and demand satisfaction. Dont ask, just TELL them what you expect, and dont take no for an answer. Continue up the food chain until you get to someone who is ready to meet your demands. Do NOT back down at any point, and keep a record of everyone's name and extension numbers for future reference.

MY demands would be that they send me a new mac overnight, along with a prepaid return shipping box for the defective one.

Generally, you can pretty much forget about getting a refund in most cases. But replacement is not out of the question. You just have to approach it the right way :D

ps: fyi, my suggestions dont come out of the blue, but rather from 22 yrs of customer service/sales/retail management experience.....

6. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Good idea, the phone call itself cost me £5 (only have a mobile in uni) and I got them to ring me back to finish the call. This is ridiculous, they said even if they store would accept a courier delivery i'd have to foot the delivery bill cost, which isn't going to be cheap. :mad: i'm a uni student! I didn't think lightly of spending almost £1000 on a piece of computer equipment for it to break within 3 months of having it! i'll give them another ring later.

7. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

apple's support isn't so great after all, they're just as hopeless as every other helpdesk i've had to deal with. They refuse point blank to help, just keep insisting i take it to my nearest apple store which i physically can't do ( it's about 4 hours by train away, and i'm at uni). I'm totally disgusted with the level of service, also by the fact I couldn't get to speak with a manager, all I had was some idiot who insisted there was no-one else I could talk to. Guess it's time to find my way to the nearest apple store, which i can't do for weeks, and it'll take 3 weeks to fix (rang the nearest shop) which I can't afford to deal with, I'm studying Computer Science at uni and need my laptop for the course. :(