Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hi,
I am looking for an audio interface to use with my new imac 27"
I will be recording in garageband and also logic pro.been looking to get maybe one of these - 'M AUDIO FIREWIRE SOLO' or 'M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB'
as im on a tight budget,but basically im looking to be able to just record,and moniter my scratching from my dj mixer into the interface,and into garageband or logic with the lowest if not any latency as im sure you guys know latency is very important! especially if your trying to record dj scratching!!
and also a mic input aswell.

I have heard that I dont need a firewire interface as im only recording one,maximum two tracks at a time and usb would be just fine! is this true?

Thanks in advance

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
to get less / zero latency in Logic/GB getting a firewire interface with direct monitoring is a better idea.

The Apogee Duet is an amazing quality interface but probably outside your budget. Apogee Uno only does input... Lexicon IONIX U22 offers zero latency monitoring and the higher end M-audio product look to offer this too. Get the best interface you can buy. The quality of the interface makes a difference.

deej

djrawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
thanks for your reply!!
The Lexicon IONIX U22 is in my price range,but that is
USB 2.0 rather than FireWire,I've heard alot of talk that FireWire is alot better!? I dunno.you recon the lexicon will be able to let me scratch without any latency?
Peace

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
most audio interfaces have zero latency monitoring. USB will work fine for a handfull of tracks. The Presonus audio box is USA for abot $150. All of them will have at least one mic input. The lowest price unit on the market that wiil work is the Lexington Alph. It's abot $80

djrawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
most audio interfaces have zero latency monitoring. USB will work fine for a handfull of tracks. The Presonus audio box is USA for abot $150. All of them will have at least one mic input. The lowest price unit on the market that wiil work is the Lexington Alph. It's abot $80

cheers chris,but how would i go about connecting my dj mixer to that presonus? or to pretty much any audio interface that doesnt have analogue inputs?
thanks,

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
cheers chris,but how would i go about connecting my dj mixer to that presonus? or to pretty much any audio interface that doesnt have analogue inputs?
thanks,

They ALL have analogue inputs. Every one of them. All you do is run an line level out from the mixer to the line level in on ad audio interface. The ends are typically 1/4" TS for unbalanced or either XLR or 1/4" TRS for balanced signals.

SFXsource

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
you should be fine with the lower end M-audio USB interfaces ... as long as you check your levels though, you really don't need to monitor while recording, unless you are scratching to a beat ...

if not, just make sure the levels are good, take off your headphones, and go nuts

plus, if the latency does get in the way you can always return it and upgrade, but it should be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.