Advice on ultraslim digital cameras/Exilims on Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cleo, Nov 9, 2005.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I'm getting a new digital camera for the holidays, and I'd really like any advice/experiences the community can offer.

The main thing is that I need an ultraslim camera with a very good LCD screen and, obviously, high compatibility with Macs. I have a neuromuscular disease that causes my hands to be weak and I can't lift cameras to me eye most of the time, so the lighter the better (and, thus, the need for good screen). I've been using a Canon SD10, to give you an idea of the physical range of camera I'm talking about.

A friend has the Casio Exilim Z55, and quite honestly, it's exactly what I want (at least the series). I especially like that it can be docked to download photos; I often have trouble fiddling with memory cards or USB cables, so I think I'd be more likely to use the camera knowing I could easily get the pictures off myself.

The problem? One reviewer of the 7-MP camera in this series says that the movies taken with it can't be viewed on Macs. While video obviously isn't the main point of the camera, I do like to make little home movies in iMovie to send to my brother (who's away at college). So, any thoughts? I'm sure someone out there has one of these - is the reviewer right?

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=2309280