advice on video camera, software?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jampwork, May 28, 2006.

1. jampwork macrumors newbie

May 28, 2006
    Hey I'm a newbie at all of this video equipment. I'm trying to set my 18 yr old graduating son up with a good camera, software. He's going to be getting a powerbook G5 and so I'm thinking of course final cut pro 5. I'm wondering if I get him a video camera that does HD, can he burn a standard dvd that can be played on a regular dvd player and/or burn an HD dvd that can be played on a regular dvd player (of course you won't see the HD, but can it be played?). Sorry if this is really stupid. Also what's a good consumer/pro HD video camera. Or maybe not go HD at all? I was orignially thinking about the sony PD-170 or the Panasonic AG-DVX100. Thanks for any help. Jam
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Ok lets get some facts straight.

The PowerBook G5 doesn't exist.

You can only buy Final Cut Studio.

And finally, The DVX is an amazing camera, best DV camera I've seen.

So here's what you can get

A MacBook Pro with lots of Ram
    A Firewire External Hard drive to store all his video
    Final Cut Studio

Forget HD, just get the DVX.
  3. virus1 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    i agree with FF productions on all levels except the camera. but that really depends on the price.

the AG-DVX100 is around $3500 new, and that can get you a long way into hd as well. i highly reccomend sony's hdr-fx1. its hd, packed with features, and is only $3k on amazon.

except the xl2 and the xl-h1, right? (im a cannon fanboi, and if i had a swimming pool of cash in the yard, i would buy one as well)
  4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004

here is a very good article comparing the top three cameras in this price range. I would suggest picking up a used 100A somewhere as this is the best deal around. A new 100B can be bought for $3k as well, virus1.

I shot my last project with a 100B and absolutely love it.
  5. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    I'm not into HD yet, but I'm finding lots of stuff about pre-recorded hybrid HD-DVD discs, which contain both SD and HD versions of a movie on a single disc, theoretically* so that people who own regular DVD players can watch the SD version now, and the HD version later when they buy an HD-DVD player. So, I'm going to guess, no, you probably can't watch a (non-hybrid) HD-DVD disc on a standard DVD player.

IMO it's still early to jump into the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray fight. Unless you're one of those rich early-adopters who can't wait to have a Betamax/Newton/etc. (That's not the same as saying "don't buy an HDV camcorder", though.)

Does your son get a voice in what's bought, or is it a surprise? Reason I ask is, maybe he knows what he wants, or has different priorities than some of us would. Maybe he's OK with SD if he can get a nice tripod or microphone or lights or iPod as well.

*I say "theoretically" because an argument exists that hybrid discs are a selling ploy so that people buying these titles will be more likely to buy HD-DVD than Blu-Ray, since they will already own those movies in that format.
  6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002

Go with the big guns and get the dvx200, hdvcpro 100. Bling.

HDV is *****.
  7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Then you could shoot a cannon ball into your swimming pool of cash! :rolleyes: Who doesn't love cannons?