Advice on video cards

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daleslad, Aug 22, 2005.

1. daleslad macrumors member

Hi guys, I'm new at this so bear with me please.
    I am presently using a NVDA,GeForce4Ti 4600, 128 mram card in my G4, DP MMD, 1.25Ghz. 1 Gig.ram computer. It came with both OS 9 and OS X loaded on the computer but I only use OS X now.
    I play a lot MOH games and I'm getting sick of eating the dust from the PC gamers that I play with. My video card just doesn't cut it with most of the maps we play.
    After reading these forums I know there a lot of savvy mac gamers out there and I'd like to get your advice as to what I can replace my video card with.
    I'm afraid I don't much know about video cards so I'm hoping you can give me some choices. I don't mind paying the price to get a good one that will work on this machine as I plan on keeping it for at least another 2 years or more.
    Thanks for your help.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

ATI just released the Radeon 9600 Pro that will work with BOTH G4 PowerMacs using 4x AGP, and PowerMac G5's using 8x AGP. It has 256MB of RAM and sells for $199. This is the latest and greatest card for the Mac using a G4 processor. It will probably be the last upgrade for the PowerMac G4. I will say that Mac Games suck. The developers do just enough to make the game work on the Mac. They do very little optimizations for OS X. So Mac games will always suck verses the PC game. Even the NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800 Ultra for the PowerMac G5 doesn't significantly match PC frame rates. Maybe this change to Intel processors will make Mac games work better.

Here is the story for the new ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Graphics Card:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/19/radeon9600/index.php

3. daleslad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mklos, for your prompt and helpful advice. That's not a bad price either I was expecting about 2 or 3 times that much. I'm not that smart about the gaming etc. but maybe with the new intel processors it will level the playing field a bit, I hope.

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Try flashing a PC card. I am running a 9800 pro in my cube now. You can find a lot of info on flashing cards here.

5. daleslad thread starter macrumors member

after reading the article that mklos linked for me I was wondering if the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition card would work any better or if it would work at all on a G4 Mac.
    As far as the flashing goes g4cubed I don't think I know enough about it to attempt something like that.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs