Advice on which PB to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ryanh, Feb 1, 2005.

1. ryanh macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2005
    I've decided that this Rev is going to be the one I upgrade my 12" iBook G4 800mhz.

The problem is I don't know which way to go. I plan on spending around 2 grand (CAN) so I'm looking at 3 configurations

(prices include taxes)
    Base 12" PB - $1900
    Base 12" PB w/ 756 MB RAM - $2000
    12" PB w/ Superdrive & 80gig HD - $2030

Any suggestions? It is going to be used mostly for school (Word processing), music (MP3's and recording with Logic express and Garageband), photos (storing, not editing), and using the intertron.
  2. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Well I would decide whether or not you want the ability to burn DVDs, and if not go with the base 12. I cannot guarentee this, but look into some RAM modules from other sites and see how much they cost. With the std. ram being upgraded to 512 you can either live with that (no added cost) or logically step right up to 1.25GB by adding a 1Gb stick at a later date. The Apple ram is overpriced and no matter what you do you are tossing one 256 out the window to insert something else.

Personally I plan to try things out with 512, then add a 1Gb stick when I have used my PB enough to notice the difference once I add the larger stick.

Do a little price checking online for RAM and check things out on that avenue. The only other question is whether or not you want DVD burning capability :confused: