Advice on wireless router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Last week, my Belkin 802.11b router got fried by an electrical storm and I'm having a lot of trouble getting Belkin to replace it (all of Belkin's products have a lifetime warranty that does not exclude acts of God). I'm getting frustrated enough to just buy a new router. There's a Netgear 802.11b router available at Staples for $40. Should I go for it if I can't get Belkin to replace my old router?

2. Kwyjibo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I have an MR314 for 802.11b wifi and it works wonderfully. The webpage prefences are easy to use, setup was a sinch (my first network obviously not yours) and everything is really straightforward. I'm not sure what kind of setting your in but they offer keyword blocking too, so when i get pissed at my family I block their favorites like pogo.com or comcast.net they get pissed I blame the cable company and tell them if they want it fixed they should call, no one ever calls.

3. Daveman Deluxe
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, I'm glad to know it's got a good review, though I'm not interested in screwing my family (I'm a college student living at home... for now). Yeah, this is a home wireless network. My main concern is that the router support 128-bit WEP encryption. Does the Netgear do that?

4. Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Lyle

Re: Advice on wireless router?

I'm using the Netgear 802.11b router and it works like a charm. Bought it at CompUSA a few weeks ago, when through a fortunate combination of in-store and mail-in rebates it cost me a (net) $30. The router is small and comes with a little stand so you can set it up vertically, which helps to save a little space if that's an issue.

5. Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes.