Advice Please - iBook vs 12" pb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Aciddan, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Aciddan macrumors member

Jun 4, 2002

I am going to pick up my fried iBook from the local Apple Dealer (iBook 14" 600), now, my wife and I need a new portable, and I am wondering what (performance-wise and 3D wise) is the better option (as I might go buy one tomorrow):

14" iBook 1.2 with superdrive (radeon 9100)
    12" powerbook w/superdrive (GeForce 5200)

there's about AUD$300 difference between them (assuming you top out each model)

-- Daniel
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    do a search in the Forums and you will find plenty of different opinions
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    well with regards to performance and 3d - the pb will win. but in the end it comes down to price, do you need to spend the extra money? though, i think the pb looks nicer (but i do have one!)
  4. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    I think the ATI Radion 100 is a very nice card, probably better than the GeForce although the added in VRAM really does make all the difference. As for the whole 12" war going on latly ;).

So, I'd go with the 12" IBook, there is really little reason to pay all that extra money for a slight speed increase and a superdrive (which has to be added seperatly on the 14" IBook).

Out for the three, you shouldn't even could the 14" IBook since its its just the 12" in a slightly bigger case ;). What you should be asking is: should i get the 12" IBook or the 12" PowerBook, and which is better value.

Have fun,

5. Aciddan thread starter macrumors member

Jun 4, 2002
    Trouble is, I would like a DVD burner in the Lappy. Though now I think about it, I had a combo in the iBook 600 and it was ok (though once my backup documents/images/music exceeds a few gig, you start to wish for a superdrive)

I might not be so bad though (I guess) If I buy a DVD burner for the PC and get a 12" iBook...

Or, when I go to pick up my iBook tomorrow, they have a special:- previous model powerbook (1 Ghz, 256, 40gig, Combo, no airport extreme @ AUD$1999 or about US$1360):- how would this be?

The options (iBook and Powerbook) are about (EDU AUD$2500 and $2800 respectively) but the iBook and pb would have a Superdrive and Airport Extreme, bluetooth and a 60gig (ibook) or 80gig (pb) HDD...

Then again, this could all be academic: the CFO (read "wife") will probably veto the entire idea until september anyway...

... I hate dilemmas ...

-- Dan :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: