Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pommy1, Jan 6, 2005.

1. pommy1 macrumors newbie

pommy1

Hello MacWorld

A couple of items that I need advice on please. Recently 'come across' from PC to an Al G4 15" SD.

- Should I be running any virus software, if so which one. Are there any virus's for Macs?

- Anyone know of software similar to Stinger (audio sting playback) or any radio broadcast type software for playback and organisation of audio tracks?

- Is there a disk fragmenter or disk maintenance program I should be running periodically?

Also, Synergy iTunes control or a Widget?

Thank you.....

Pommy1

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

- Virii aren't a major issue on mac but if you want to play it safe you can look into Virex: http://www.networkassociates.com/us/products/mcafee/antivirus/desktop/virex.htm

- iTunes comes with every mac and can play internet audio streams and is a great music juke box[ if not the best ]

- There are a few things you can do such are repairing disk permission from time to time .. I know if an app called iDefrag but I am not sure if it really essential ..

- Both Synergy and Konfabulator are payware .. there are free solutions that do the same in regards to iTunes control .. one of them is ByteController ..

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hey fellow Kiwi! There's a few of us around here...

:)

Don't worry about viruses at the mo. Search this forum for 'Mac virus' and you'll see what I mean...

Edit: Waiheke Island! But with a name like that, you could be a UK citizen as well... Still, we won't hold that against you... ;)

4. pommy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

pommy1

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, howdy neighbour!
    Wanna go for a ride?

6. pommy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

pommy1

but....

there's a fish in the perculator....

where?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In Pete Martell's coffee-pot. Scene where Coop & Sheriff Truman come to call...