Advice PowerMac G5 for video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cstamm, Sep 27, 2006.

1. cstamm macrumors newbie

I need some advice quick. I am relatively new to the world of mac. I am tired of trying to run video editing software on Windows PC's. I found this guy on ebay, it looks like it has a great deal of up to date software on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ51036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I want a good machine to edit lots of video and photos. I want to run Final Cut Pro, which it comes with. It lists all of the software on the ebay page. Is this the latest and greatest Final Cut Pro? Is this machine more than up to the task of any video editing I could throw at it? Am I going to get burned not having the original program discs? Thought? Opinions? It looks like it could be a good deal depending on how the biddinhg goes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I sincerely appreciate it.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The computer is great, however you cannot legally use the software once you buy it.

That G5 will run Final cut Pro, or Express like a champ, it was what it was built for. Even when compared to the new intlel systems, it still does quite well.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

If CDs aren't included, it's very likely that licenses to run the software aren't included either. You'd be purchasing a computer with pirated software. Looks like this guy just downloaded as many expensive pieces of software that he could find, in order to jack the price up.

4. cstamm thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the software bundle did seem too good to be true. I didn't even know you could pirate software for macs like you can for PC's. Even though the guy says they are all legit copies, I have to doubt it. I'm just trying to find a way to get a good mac with Final Cut Studio 5.1, without paying much over $2K. Maybe it's not even possible.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you have time to deal with ebay, you can get a Dual 2.0 for ~$1500 or less. If you don't need the entire studio, get final cut express, or just normal final cut.

Are you doing this editing for a living ?

6. cstamm thread starter macrumors newbie

Not for a living, although I have aspirations of editing on the side. I figured it would make more sense to learn the full on version of Final Cut, versus learning the less robust (but same interface as I understand) Final Cut Express.
    I'd much rather buy used from a reputable forum like this one, too many folks on ebay seem to be up to something it seems. The new Mac Pro's look awesome, just a tad pricey though.

7. cstamm thread starter macrumors newbie