Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Josh said:
I am quite positive those in favor of spanking were spanked as children. But just because it happened to you does not make it OK.
You're wrong. I was never spanked as a child, and I entered fatherhood 5 years ago with the same kind of rosy, black and white outlook that you have.

However, I was a super tame kid compared to my two boys, as was my brother. Both of my boys are risk takers and can be quite agressive and defiant, though each in their own unique way.

Again, I can count the times I have physically disciplined either kid on 1 hand, but not ruling it out has made me a more effective parent.

B

jcaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Boise, ID
What is wrong with all of you?

First off, it's your house and your rules. You are the authority figure in your house, not your sister. Your sister should be following your rules and not expect that she can go anywhere and expect only her approved forms of displine or lack-thereof. I can't believe all the coddlers on this thread who think that they can be the only source of discipline for their kids! Talk about insecurity in your own parenting skills that you fear someone else doing a better job than you. The loss of parental control has really freaked most of you out!

Secondly, a single whack on the bum through clothes is NOT spanking. Pants down, bare-bum slapping IS spanking. For those here who have been spanked know that it doesn't really hurt but that it is extremely embarrassing. It's a shaming, not a violent act. If your goal is to cause physical pain to your child then it's called abuse, not spanking, and you should be shot for it.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
jcaplan said:
First off, it's your house and your rules. You are the authority figure in your house, not your sister. Your sister should be following your rules and not expect that she can go anywhere and expect only her approved forms of displine or lack-thereof. I can't believe all the coddlers on this thread who think that they can be the only source of discipline for their kids! Talk about insecurity in your own parenting skills that you fear someone else doing a better job than you. The loss of parental control has really freaked most of you out!

Secondly, a single whack on the bum through clothes is NOT spanking. Pants down, bare-bum slapping IS spanking. For those here who have been spanked know that it doesn't really hurt but that it is extremely embarrassing. It's a shaming, not a violent act. If your goal is to cause physical pain to your child then it's called abuse, not spanking, and you should be shot for it.

Whoa.

First, I sincerely am sorry for the abuse you endured.

Second, what you describe as "spanking" sounds to me as a nonconsensual sexual activity between a parent and child.

jcaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Boise, ID
swingerofbirch said:
Whoa.

First, I sincerely am sorry for the abuse you endured.

Second, what you describe as "spanking" sounds to me as a nonconsensual sexual activity between a parent and child.

Cheeks exposed or not (personally the only two spanks I ever received were non-exposed), my point is that spanking is an embarrassing punishment, not a painful one.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
jcaplan said:
Cheeks exposed or not (personally the only two spanks I ever received were non-exposed), my point is that spanking is an embarrassing punishment, not a painful one.

-jcaplan

I'll second that - though it did hurt.

P.S. But now I play paintball - go figure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.