Advice requested:getting system software for LC III

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by windsmith, May 28, 2006.

1. windsmith macrumors newbie

May 28, 2006
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    I guess my question boils down to this- where can I buy actual, physical, System disks for vintage macs?

Here's my story - my Dad had an LCII, but the motherboard blew. I got him a used LCIII. I put the hard drive from his LCII into the LCIII - it (the LCIII) started up fine but it needs system software. I think System 7.5.5 would work. I need to buy some System floppy disks, I think, but I don't know where to find any. I found a website where one can download apple software, but I don't think that's going to work because I am on a PC so even if I did download software it would be onto disks formatted for PC. Please help. Thanks.
  2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Apple allows you to download Mac OS up to System 7.5.1 for free I believe. If you have a Mac which is both internet connected and floppy equipped (or a way of getting the downloaded disk images to the floppy equipped Mac) then you can create the boot disks.

Search around Apple's download area to find the's been a while since I needed to resurrect an LCIII and I can't remember where they are located. is also a good resource when dealing with machines of this age.
  3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    They are available from
    here and the exact files you are looking for starts with: Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3