Advice Required :: Speakers to match Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bakey, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Mowning!!

I've done a bit of a search but unable to find any information relating to my question; but apologies in advance if it has already been answered elsewhere.

I'm in the market for a Mac desktop and "no", this isn't a "should I get a mini, iMac or PowerMac?" question!

As I'll be ending up with a 20" Cinema Display can anybody out there suggest a decent pair of desktop speakers, with a sub, which actually match the design of the Cinema Display?

I've had a quick look around Apple.com and there appears to be a fairly wide choice from the usual suspects, ie. Altec Lansing, JBL, Harman Kardon, and Bose. But all with quite differing price tags to boot!

Their usage includes multimedia authoring, bit of DV editing, iTunes -- the usual really! But I don't need studio quality [or rather I can't warrant the price tag that goes with it!]

Are JBL's Creature II 2.1 any good for the price [£70.00]? I'm sat here typing away on my Windows box with a Creative Cambridge SoundWorks 4.1 set-up in place [although I've opted to utilise only 2.1 as the dog chewed through one of the rear cables]; and I've always been 'more' than pleased with the results. But, they simply do not match the intended Mac desktop set-up; hence the view to replace them with a new set of 'matching' speakers.

If anybody could assist in a recommendation I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance... ;)

2. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Me too! Be very interested to see recommendations.

I just want something fairly cheap and cheerful that look a bit different but will compliment the Cinema Display.

Steve

3. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Hmmm. I saw those in the Apple Store and they are very attractive. :)

Personally, a bit too pricey for my requirements though. :(

4. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers fella, they're £169 over at Apple -- just breaks my £150 budget but I'm sure I can accomodate [ie. "Honestly sweet-heart we REALLY need 'em!!" :eek: ]

Do you have a pair yourself? I'm asking as one reviewer comments on a constant 'buzzing' -- is this the case or has this chap simply got a duff set-up/earthing problem? Personally speaking I get a 'buzz' [the noise type!!] when scrolling up and down documents, etc., but only thru the headphones which is apparently a problem with the earthing strip on the headphone jack [it's a Shuttle system] Sorry to digress... :rolleyes:

Thanks again... ;)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ding ding - £135 :D (I got mine from there).

Yes I do have them, there is a very slight hum when they are on, but they do not make extra noise as you type or anything like that. They sound great.

6. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Love your work!! Right, they're now on the official "to buy" list... :D

7. notheremuch macrumors member

Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - imo the best sound + appearance combined.
    (but, the sound of these and frankly any computer desktops I've heard, do not play cleanly or present live sound.)

8. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Okay so they're a little more tempting at that price. :)

I'll have to give them a listen next time I'm at the Apple Store. They are very nice looking speakers though. <sigh>

9. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Those Altec's are probably the best matchine. Maybe the creatures but I like those Altacs better.