Advice: Robot Toy for 4 year old boy

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Aug 19, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My son is really into the whole robot thing, although we don't actually have one. He's more into robots in Star Wars videos/games and stuff. As are most boys his age, he is also very much into dinosaurs.
    I've been thinking about picking him up a toy robot (no AIBO or QRIO quite yet :rolleyes: ). I'm looking at either this one or possibly this one. The first one will "evolve" somewhat, which is cool but possibly beyond him at this point. The second one combines his love for robots with dinosaurs, but it does not adapt at all.

Anyone with an opinion or experience with toy robots, your advice is welcome.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

those are both pretty cool. i think the dog is more versatile (obviously) and might keep his attention longer... i don't know. kids are fickle. the dinosaur has some flash appeal that will amaze him immediately i'm sure. hmmm... the dinosaur might be easier to break, it looks like it has some little pieces that might get broken off in those hyper little fits little boys seem to have at random (at least my 3 year old boy has these random moments of wigging out on me) [shrugs]

just don't get him this robot: [​IMG] :D

3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

hehe. He has a small stormtrooper figure, but I don't think it has quite the same hip action. :rolleyes:

I like the Roboraptor because it is half the price (though I messed with one at BB and it seemed pretty well made) and does stuff without having to invest time training it. Downside is he may outgrow it quickly if he takes to it, then I'd want the more expensive i-Cybie.
    The i-Cybie is more expandable and would grow with him to an extent, but may be more than he can handle at his age and temperment.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Both of these toys have limits - ie the programming.
    Your child has a limitless imagination - so I don't think you should buy either of these toys.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Lego
    Soldering iron
    Scrap tape decks

Let him build his own...

:D :D

6. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I'm sure Child Services willl understand why a 4yr old had a soldering iron... :rolleyes: :eek: :D

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

If choosing between the two, I would pick the dinosaur, because I never had much of an attention span as a kid, and the robot dog seems like quite a lot of effort to take care of, instead of a pick-up and go thing.

Though buying him a bunch of Legos and letting your child build some robots might be a good idea :)

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish