Advice: Sharing printer between 2 computers. Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laughingbabe16, Dec 2, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    I have a HP DeskJet 5900 connected and installed on my MacBook however I would also like to share that printer with my desktop computer, which is running Windows XP. I should also add that the 3 computers in the house, are all connected via Wireless LinksSys. The MacBook automatically connects to the internet from Linksys so I figure there shouldn't be any problems but I can't get this to work! Is there any way to share my printer with my Windows XP desktop computer, without buying any software/hardware? If so, how?! Last night I searched the internet for instructions but nothing seemed to help.

Thank you!
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i have the same problem, my mac mini is connected to a hp printer through USB port, i opened file sharing, windows user sharing and printer sharing in sharing preference, i also set the printer to be shared in printer preference,

now, i can wirelessly use this printer from my macbook, but i can't connect to it on a windows machine (I can connect and access the user folders and files of my mini from the windows computer, just not the printer)

anybody has any idea?
  3. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    hmm. I did that last night and I can't get my macbook to print wirelessly.
  4. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    great! it works! thanks. now how do i get that same printer to print wirelessly on my macbook? is it possible since its connected via usb?
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    k, i will try bonjour for windows when i get back home later today, thanks
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    at system preference->sharing preference, enable
    printer sharing
    at system preference->print and fax
    goto share tab, enable the sharing of the printer.

then goto your MB, when printing, u should see the printer's name
  7. scotpole macrumors member

Apr 4, 2006
    Static IP Address

I tried to share an HP multifunction over an airport router and I had problems. I connected the printer to the LAN out port on the router. The one thing I found out was that often when I tried to connect via DHCP I could not find the printer. The printer could have a new address assigned every time it was turned on or reset.

To resolve the problem in went in through the printer's menu and control panel and manually gave the computer a static permanent address. My HP 7310 has a static address something like I can now find this printer with my three macs since its address is not constantly changing. And my computers can discreetly join the internet using DHCP.
  8. airkarol macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    It would be easier with 2 macs :D

Go into the sharing preferences and turn on printer sharing. Create a wireless network with the windows computer and the mac, and make sure the drivers are installed one the windows computer. You won't need to worry about that part on the mac. :D You should then be able to print from the PC.

I have a printer connected to an airport, and that works great too.
  9. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  10. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    1) I've noticed that if I want to share my printer (which is with my mac computer) I not only have to have the printer on (well of course) but I also need to have the computer on. Is there a way I can avoid this?

2) I still can't wirelessly print from my macbook. keep in mind my HP printer is connected to my macbook via USB. I have gone to system preferances and did all the things the poster above me said, but still wont print. Any ideas?
  11. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    oh, im sorry, i think we have mis understanding here.
    i have 3 computers
    1 mac mini connected to the printer through usb
    1 macbook and 1 windows pc now can print through that shared printer wirlessly.
    my mac mini is always on.

for your question
    2)like i described, misunderstanding

the only way you can wirelessly print from your mb is, like scotpole said, your printer must have an independent IP, which depends on your printer's model, some of them can, some of them can't.
  12. slosh macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2006
    for getting all of the computers to print wirelessly, you could use something like this:

which is an ethernet print server that you hook the usb printer into; it then gives the printer an i.p. address that all computers on the network can print to. you do have to hook the print server directly into your router (via an ethernet cable). however, if you have a multifunction printer (with scanner, etc.), you'll probably only be able to print through the server (and not scan).
  13. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    let me answer your questions in reverse order.
    2) you need to connect your printer to something... if you can figure out what you want to connect it to, the rest is simple. given the printer doesn't have wireless capacity, and usb is the only interface, you need to use usb to connect the printer to something. in your previous case the macbook. so unless you can find something else to connect the printer to, you cannot do wireless... as a previous poster nicely pointed out, you can get a printer server that connect to the printer via usb and to your router, that way the printer is connected to the router, not on the MB, therefore free from the dependence of macbook... and it's giving access to your entire network... that way you can use your mb wirelessly connect to the printer (or any other network resources you have, e.g. your other computer's harddrive)

1) since the printer is not dependent on the macbook, you then can turn the macbook off and still be able to access your printer from the XP box.

i think your post was a bit confusing, as you said all 3 computers are connected to the router, which made people think you had a 3rd computer that you never mentioned.