Advice sought: MB vs MBP reliability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gkth, Jul 4, 2006.

1. gkth macrumors newbie

My Boss has just offered to buy me a laptop :) . The budget is about 1000 UK pounds which means I can buy the low end MBP (with the HE discount). The laptop will be used as my main work computer (which I will carry home every day) and I will also take it to the road once every few months. The work will be mainly number crunching using unix software.

Since the specs between the MBP and the MB are quite similar, and I don't really need the extras, I'm at the moment inclined to buy the MB (more portable) and jazz it up with ram and HD, rather than going for a low-end MBP. Since reliability is an important issue, and it seems like the new MBs do get rather hot, can someone please comment on the reliability of the MB vs the MBP? It seemed to me that the old PB G4 was more reliable than the ibook G3 (my ibook has been repaired 3 times, once with HD failure and twice with logic board replacement). And shall I wait a little until newer revisions are on the market?

I guess the reliability issue will settle the question for me of whether getting the MB or the MBP.

Thanks in advance,

George

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure which is more reliable than the other. Apple seems to have ironed out some of the problems with the MacBook Pro will the latest silent revision.

Personally, I would go for the MacBook Pro- larger screen, aluminum case material, expansion port, dedicated GPU, thinner, etc... But either way you go, pick up AppleCare. :)