ADVICE: The Waiting Game

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chris14, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

Does anyone know about Apple's policy on upgrades etc.

If I were to buy an iMac in December/January, and in January or February Leopard (10.5) came out, would I still need to pay full price, or upgrade price, or would they provide it for free within a certain timescale?

You views would be appreciated.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You'd have to pay the full price. There is no "upgrade price." I think they'll only give it to you free within like 10-14 days of your computer purchase. So, you buy your computer Jan. 1, and Leopard comes out Jan. 10, they'll most likely give it to you. You buy a computer Jan. 1, and it comes out March 16, you'll have to pay the full price.

And I believe Leopard is expected closer to April.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

they have no policy, however historically they have given computer and sotware purchasers who recently purchased typically within the past 14 days either a free upgrade or for $20 (that cost was said to offset the cd/dvd and shipping). That is more likely to be the case with iLife since Leopard will likely be announced with a future release date, at which point the will pull tiger and start taking pre-orders.

4. dleboubon macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it's a 2 week period (give or take a couple of days) for a free upgrade. I bought my PB on Oct 8/03 with 10.2 installed & I received a free upgrade when 10.3 was released on Oct 24/03. I was on the cut off date for the free upgrade though (2 weeks + 2 days).

5. Chris14 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris14

Thanks

Thanks very much guys for clearing that up for me.

New iMac for me by Christmas then! :)

It will be nice to replace my awesome speedy system :cool:
    iMac G3

6. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Chances are highly likely 10.5 won't come out before February anyway.