Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orfanotna

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2005
crackpip said:
The cost of office for students at different universities is dependent upon agreements made between M$ and the university. At my university, Office is $11 whereas iWork is $50.

Man, I hate you :)

At mine it costs $149.

Not that I consider $11 worth it for Office. The incompatibilities between Mac and PC versions of Office drive me nuts! I make sure any collaborations I'm involved in employ PDF.

For word processing, I use Xcode and TexShop. For presentations I use Keynote and the pdf's created in TexShop. If I need a spreadsheet, which is rare, I'll use Open Office. For plotting, I often have to use specialized plotting packages to handle my generated data. But, if I had to make simple plots, I might give gnuplot a try; Excel plots are just too ugly to use in a professional setting.

Viva MacOS X!
crackpip

I use OpenOffice on Linux all the time, but I heard it sucks on OS X. I guess for me it'll be AbiWord for word processing, and Excel at the computer labs whenever I need a spreadsheet.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Is this thread anti ibook12"?

It seems like everyone here is reccomending a lot of Vram (ibook only has 32 of course) and an external display (Ibook needs hack for that and with hack is only allowed 16 mb to the external).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
orfanotna said:
I use OpenOffice on Linux all the time, but I heard it sucks on OS X. I guess for me it'll be AbiWord for word processing, and Excel at the computer labs whenever I need a spreadsheet.

Try NeoOffice. OS X native. Interface becoming Aqua-fied soon.

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
orfanotna said:
Man, I hate you :)

At mine it costs $149.

Hehe, just to rub it in a bit. Before last year it was $5, but I feel your pain, I paid $150 for the final Classic version (my university hadn't negotiated an agreement yet).

Open Office on Mac is definitely un-Mac-like, and it's a M$ Office clone. So yeah, it pretty much sucks. But, I put up with the headaches from other pieces of software because I'm sick of putting up with the headaches from Office.

It's funny. A few years ago, I used Office for everything, homework, notes, plots-- everything. My co-authors and I wrote a 300 page textbook. Then in the same year, I wrote my M.S. dissertation and had to take a turn compiling the final version of the new edition of the textbook. By the end of those two projects, I was ready to firebomb M$ HQ (I hope the FBI isn't watching). Fortunately my hair grew back, but now I'm pretty militant anti-M$.

crackpip

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Capt Underpants said:
You need to take the crap about High School students not needing a computer out, or atleast edit to say you don't need a computer on campus.

Okay, here's what I meant.

Yes, High school students DO need a computer, but what I was saying was that they don't need a computer to take to school. High school students do write a lot of papers, and just about every English teacher requires you to type essays, at least at my school. What I was saying was that you don't need to take a computer to school.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Steadmuffin said:
For Canadian students, AppleWorks and iWork are a much more affordable combo than Office since iWork is $65, AppleWorks is free, and Office costs a whopping two-hundred bones.

Okay, I didn't factor in all of you living in the Great White North, but here's my advice in your situation:

First, and as I said in my original post, know your computing environment. If it's a Mac platform, it won't really matter. If it's in a PC platform, I recommend Office if you can afford it. In your case, you can't, although I recommend iWork as a second choice simply because AppleWorks is, and has, been pretty much phased out and I see iWork becoming a better option. The reason why I recommend Office over iWork is because it has a spreadsheet application, very useful, and it has full compatibility with PCs. I don't really recommend AppleWorks because it's getting old, and it's beginning to show its age, plus the Presentations don't have compatibility with iWork or Office, and it's a bad presentation application to begin with. Oh, and AppleWorks isn't always free. They stopped putting it on the PowerMac and PowerBook.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
xparaparafreakx said:
Well guess I made a mistake asking my parents for my TiBook in 9th grade. Well after reading this I still dont reget it. It is so nice to have a TiBook to work on my powerpoint on the go and being able to use InDesign on this computer instead of the old P2 machines with 1024x768 Rez. BTW they decided to upgrade those machines to P4. I understand how most kids dont need a laptop in highschool.

Since it looks like people are giving advice here about computers, what should I do with this TiBook 1Ghz? I have an option to get another computer at the end of my senior year 2006 with a budget of $3,000.

You didn't make a mistake. What I was saying was, don't bring a portable to high school because you're not going to need it. However, I strongly advise that you have a computer at home, portable or desktop, for writing papers, as well as talking to friends, managing your iPod, surfing the web, etc.

As for your TiBook, I strongly recommend that you keep it until Summer 2006 where you can get a new one for college. That way you won't be bringing a year old computer to college. A 1 GHz TiBook doesn't look that bad. I was using an iMac G3 for a year, and it didn't last too long with its specs. (see below)

This post also pointed out some advice I forgot to put in earlier. I recommend that you get your computer after you're done with high school. Then, you have a powerful, new computer ready to get to work. 4 years of college can really wear down a computer. (I hope I'm not getting too preachy here!)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
WillMak said:

It seems like everyone here is reccomending a lot of Vram (ibook only has 32 of course) and an external display (Ibook needs hack for that and with hack is only allowed 16 mb to the external).

I didn't say a word about being anti-iBook 12 inch. Although I'm not completely down on an external display, I don't think it's necessary, unless if you're a graphic designer or something, but hey, I was on a flight to New York once and the girl sitting next to me was a pro graphic designer and she was using a 12 inch iBook. Anyways, I think the new iBooks are pretty good machines. They're faster, always a plus, and it has Bluetooth, ATI Radeon 9550, and best of all, a bigger hard drive and 512 MB RAM.

Update: I edited my original post to make what I said more clear. Plus, I tried changing the "Stuendts" to Students."

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I've got to disagree on the necessity of a laptop. I've had a succession of inherited laptops (and now a 12" iBook new), and I've yet to encounter a situation that required me to have a laptop, either for a lit class or design or photography.

I'm semi-non-traditional (on-again off-again attendance, a dozen majors, rarely more than six hours in a semester) and never lived on-campus, but aside from dorm room space concerns, I don't think a different situation would have necessitated a laptop.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Eventhough you can make do with other office/productivity programs, it's always good to have a standard program like MS Office around. Sure, MS is awful sometimes, but more important than what the college uses most of the time is what your PROFS will use most of the time. Nothing irritates a prof more than trying to open a document and getting incorrectly formatted assignments or in some cases, nothing at all.

I'll say it again, for those who take copious amounts of handwritten notes, consider a tablet. Yes, it's Microsoft, but there are some advantages, especially if you're in the sciences or engineering (check out the equation writer for students). I'm waiting for the day Apple produces a tablet...

... and yes, portability is a good thing. Don't wreck your back though: get a full size keyboard, a decent desk, and a good chair. Ergonomics people, ergonomics...

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
ozone said:
I'm waiting for the day Apple produces a tablet...

Hey, hell froze over today when Apple introduced the two button Mighty Mouse, perhaps they'll come out with a tablet. Maybe the palmtop mac rumors are true.

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
It all depends on how you use it...

I didn't own a computer when I went to college (graduated 2001)... I was an English major, typed hundreds of pages of papers, and used the college's computer labs for every single one of them... Would it have been easier to have my own computer? Possibly, although I might have been more off-task... Going to the computer lab made me have to focus and get it done early... Buuuut, I did envy those students with computers, mainly because they controlled what *they* wanted on it... Sometimes school computers can be crappy...

Now-a-days, does *every* student have a computer? Are computer labs deserted? Have they turned them into storage rooms?

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
To the original post - I'd have to say that's pretty good advice.

I originally got a laptop at the beginning of my first semester in college. I'm glad I did get a laptop, because I did move it frequently. However, I've since been in dorms with separate bedrooms (how sweet it is), and recently built my desktop which has suited my needs perfectly. My laptop has come in handy still, so I too recommend getting a laptop if budget permits. But a desktop will fill most of your needs.

As stated above, there are still many people who don't own computers, and get along fine. There are computer labs for a reason; they are frequently used (I've still use them for convenience, or to print), and usually stay open pretty late (2 or 3am).

Not to get too off topic, another handy piece of advice is: Don't buy books for General Education classes (Core classes) until you have gone to the first class or two. And be sure you or someone asks "How much of the book will be tested?" I didn't need a book for about 80% of my Gen Ed classes, and easily received A's in all of them by just going to class. It's a good way to save a few hundred dollars.

I think this thread deserves a sticky :D

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
iWillard said:
Now-a-days, does *every* student have a computer? Are computer labs deserted? Have they turned them into storage rooms?

Not necessarily. At my sisters' college, the computer lab has 12 PCs and 13 G3 PowerMacs, not exactly the best machine now, and it's always busy in there with serious geeks. The school doesn't require you to get a computer, and they do recommen using the computer labs, although most people do have a computer there.

However, it is nice to have a computer for you; one where you can see old documents, one where you can save your pictures in iPhoto, one that lets you manage your iPod, etc.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I agree with most everything that has been said. And i agree that most HS students do not need there own computer. Usually a family computer will do.

I am going to college this fall so i have been searching around for computers. I first started looking at the 15in Powerbook with 128MB VRAM. And after everything came all told i was 2,729.00 before tax (that is with an educational discount). I also had some extras added in like max ram (bought 3rd party), external Double layer DVD burner, and a 160GB exteranl HD. While i really like this setup and it would work perfoect for my needs i started to consider different things when the iBooks were updated. Right now i am lokking at a 17in iMac with superdrive and a 12in iBook. This total came to 3,255.00 before tax (with educational discount). That is a laptop, for mobile stuff, and a desktop for games and heavy work, for about about 330 dollars more. That is with everything stock except with more ram )bought 3rd party)I also plan to sell the ipod minis that i can get with the special that is going on right now and one of the printers. So in the end i end up paying about the same, if not less, for two computers then one. I like the two computer idea because it will allow me to take stuff were i want to but if something horrible happens to one of them then i still have the other to fall back on. If i just had the Powerbook and it decided to go to hell on me and i had to send it in i would not be without the essential stuff i need for classes.

So if you can spring for two computer when leaving for college it might not be a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
check for campus site licesnses

At my campus we have site licenses for various software packages. I got Office for $111 cdn (~$85 US), maple (free), matlab (free), autoCAD (free, windows), endnote ($130 cdn), Adobe CS 1.1 ($300 cdn) and the list goes on.

You can really save quite a bit, often cheaper than the "student" version which may be for sale.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Hrmm... last year of school I had a 12" PowerBook, with an external LCD, and wireless kb/mouse... it was decent, however I found I needed more power for things that I tended to do.

So this year I now have an iMac G5 (with a second screen :) ), and I just recently bought a cheap Wintel laptop for notes in classes and library use.

The iMac cost me $1050, and my laptop (ThinkPad T22) cost me $200, and works perfectly with wireless internet and upgraded RAM.

I believe this setup will be excellent, and overall I've spent under $1500 for everything (including upgrades and external LCD).

Not sure about all of you guys, but I'm happy :)

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
iWillard said:

Nope. Our college has a Mac lap of 55 computers. The lab is always occupied with students. Some students have laptops but opt to use the desktops when in the building or, are working in 3D and video and don't have the software so are also using the desktops.

Students should really get info from the colleges prior to running out and purchasing because not all colleges are the same. Some programs don't require laptops at all and others only recommend. Some colleges require laptops in the students second year while others might want them to have them in their first.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Bump! I just wanted to keep this up so people could still see the great advice in this thread...

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
iMacZealot said:
If you're going into middle school or high school and think you need a computer, you don't. You can either use that "cave man" way and write on paper or just type it at home if your handwriting is really bad. If you really need to type in middle or high school, you can just pull out your PalmOne and do a HotSync. And, you'll be labeled "Geek of all time" if you lug an iBook to every class in 6th grade. It happened to some kids in my 6th grade class, and it wasn't pretty. However, I strongly advise that you have a computer at home to type essays and such as many teachers require students to type essays.

You must be living in the past! Us high school students would probably wouldnt survie without a laptop or any other kind of computer! I have two classes I take online for extra credit and if I didnt have my own laptop than I wouldnt be able to get the extra credit and the free periods I have in my day :D Anyways as far as I know, if you bring a laptop to school your actaully consider more cool than geek! :cool:

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
jakochampolska said:
You must be living in the past! Us high school students would probably wouldnt survie without a laptop or any other kind of computer! I have two classes I take online for extra credit and if I didnt have my own laptop than I wouldnt be able to get the extra credit and the free periods I have in my day :D Anyways as far as I know, if you bring a laptop to school your actaully consider more cool than geek! :cool:
That is ********, its always geek. Trust me. I dont know where the hell you come from.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
persianpunisher said:
That is ********, its always geek. Trust me. I dont know where the hell you come from.

well, maybe us art kids are different. Having your own laptop and taking it to school (which is a stupid idea anyways) would make you the talk of the school.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
yeah, i could see that for you art folk. Sorr if I was abrasive, I felt bad for being so rude. I knew of a few kids who brought their laptop to school, but it was for multimedia purposes, as they dwelled in the multimedia lab

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
jakochampolska said:

Okay, the average (keep in mind, average) high school student doesn't need a laptop because they don't go to a techie school. I don't live in the past as I am a high school student as well. My siblings are recent graduates, too. We all went to the same private school here, and we never even needed a laptop. The school doesn't have a lot of tech classes, and right now I'm going by with my iMacs without a single problem, just like everyone else. I know a few people who bring laptops, but let's just say they never leave home on Friday nights.

I'm not living in the past. Not only have I used Mac OS 7, 8, 9, and 10, I also am a pro with Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, and XP. I'm labeled "Techno Man" by my friends and family, but it's used with good connotation. Once I graduate, I plan on moving to California and will study to be a video editor. For now, I make weekly newscasts using FinalCut Express on my G5 and send them out to people, either on DVD or from my .Mac website. I'm not living in the past.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I have some advice for college students too.

1. Buy used. You have no @#$%ing clue where and in what condition you'll find your computers and peripherals sometimes, and you'll feel a lot less weird about cleaning a used computer with ammonia products.

2. Buy Apple. This might seem like simple Zealot advice, but I think it's a good rule. It's easier to find batteries/power supplies/correct RAM/hardware information et cetera ad nauseum. Believe it or not, I've had computers that seem to have completely vanished from all internet documentation, which was a real pain when I tried to use them with Linux.

3. Stay the hell away from eBay. If you drink heavily, are impulsive, and have disposable income, this goes double. The sinking feeling of waking up in bed with an unknown local and two emaciated goats is exceeded only by the feeling of waking up and opening your door to sign for delivery on a "L@@K! LOT OF 6 DOZEN SGI INDY 100MHz/16MB RAM FOR PARTS!"

D. Don't buy a computer capable of playing games. If you give in to these urgings, be sure to install an OS incapable of playing anything more than half-assed ports of Leisure Suit Larry. Seriously. Your parents are paying good @#$%ing money to send you to a place where alcohol and illicit chemicals are freely available. Plenty of time to play games when you work for a living.

5. Be always on the lookout for the incongruous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.