Advice using Spotlight & Automator

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AdamZ, May 19, 2005.

1. AdamZ macrumors regular

Hey folks, I has been playing with Tiger since it came out, and with the exception of poor quicktime performance, everything seems swell. There are a couple of questions I have though.

1. Spotlight is great, but is there anyway anyone has figured out how to have it search by default just the HOME folder instead of the entire system. I get sick of my iMac taking the resources and seeing all those stupid system files, when all I want to look at by default is the home folder. I know that I can "Show All" expanding the Spotlight results and then select just the Home folder to view the results that way, but it is really getting on my nerves. Any third party options?

2.Voice commands do not appear in "Commands Window". Anyone who uses the built in Voice Commands to move around your computer knows this stuff is cool, and actually works pretty well. For Safari, the "Make this page speakable" command is feeding my couch surfing. But after installing Tiger, the commands from Library/Speech/Speakable items fail to show up in the available commands list. Everything is where it should be, I've repaired permissions, and it works for all other users, so I may just have to move everything to a new user account.

3.Lastly AUTOMATOR. What the hell am I supposed to do with this program. When we saw it showcased for the first time, I was most excited by this powerful app most of all. BUT I CAN"T FIGURE IT OUT!! There is barely any discription for each of the available bits of your workflow. You can't tell what should go together without trial and error, and there seems to be no further instructions I can find anywhere on the web. I even tried following along with the presenter (I forget his name) and nothing he grabbed matched up in this final version. In fact, there was more of a detailed discription of what these things did on that early Tiger release they were running. Why show less of a discription? Anyway does anyone know of a good site for learning Automator? Whoever writes a book might make a buck or two if the true power of this app could be appreciated.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think the easiest way to do that is to select ⌘-F in Finder to bring up the search window, then select "Home" in the "Servers"/"Computer"/"Home", etc. line.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

What about going into spotlight preferences and disallow searching in applications, system, and Library?

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

everyone knows about the kind: thing right?
    i.e:
    kind:movie
    kind:app
    kind:photo

and date:
    date:yesterday
    date:today etc etc?

You can do these in addition to the normal search i.e:
    "kind:photo date:this week holiday"

5. mms macrumors 6502a

A quick Google search reveals
    http://www.automatorworld.com/
    an Automator community site with forums that you could probably get more Automator-specific help in.

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Personally there wasn't a lot there for me on Automator. I sympathise with AdamZ cos I can't find too much to get excited about the App, but it is early days and I'm sure I'll get into it soon. Don't get me wrong, it is a good link to remember.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I imagine pogue press will release a book soon enough! (Or it probably be part of Tiger manual).
    There will be tons of books out soon enough I should think. And they wiill soon after be distilled amongst the the threads here.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Great thread, i also do not understand automator. I wanted to make a script to make the tags in itunes right and have it filled out correctly, and also get the album art but i can't seem to figure it out.