Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by superted666, Sep 4, 2006.

1. superted666 Guest

Oct 17, 2005
    Ive been asked short notice to do a shoot tonight at a lake near
    by, the event is a canoe combined with cable pull kinda event. Pics
    will make sense.
    Basically im shooting a lake where canoes will go past approx 25-35
    mph on a relativley set path so i can prefocus to save time.

I only have the a100s two kit lenses so they are not too fast to be
    honest (18-70 and 70-300)

I will be using a tripod and light will be moderate its around 6pm
    so daylight but without the midday sun )if we get any, its overcast
    at the moment!)

Focal range will be at the corners of the lake so closest i can get
    is probably about 20 meters away.

I need tips and advice from your knowledgable minds!
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Um.....I don't know. Shoot in RAW, and underexpose a bit? I'd rather underexpose a bit if it's the difference between a blurry shot and a sharper photo. Not sure about what the lighting is like, but it should be ok. I'd also use a shorter focal length and crop afterwards. Motion blur won't be as great if you use your 70-300 mm at shorter focal lengths. Plus, the lens is faster at shorter focal lengths as well. ;)
  3. beavo451 macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2006
    Bump the ISO up (I know... the noise will rear its ugly head) sp you can get reasonably fast shutter speeds.

Pan, pan, PAN!!!! So unless your tripod has a pan head, or you can get you shutter speed around 1/1000, don't use your tripod and just handhold.

Regarding pre-focus: I don't know if your Sony can do this, but you can set a "trap". Set the camera to manual focus, focus shutter release priority, focus on where the canoe is going to be and hold the shutter release button. When the canoe enters the correctfocus plane and focus sensor, the shutter should fire "automatically".