Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Hey guys,

I recently was contacted by somebody to illustrate animals for a children's book. They told me they had some figures in mind but, they wanted to know what I wanted to charge. My Dad was in publishing a while ago, but I wanted to see what other people might know about possible fees and what would be reasonable to ask for. I was thinking $150 or so per page, but I don't want to sell myself short or make my fee too high.

The illustrations would be colorful and cartoon-like, they want to pay me per picture (page) but, they didn't mention how many pages the book would be. They even said they'll put my name on the book and there may be possibilities for future books.

Any advise from somebody who has dealt with illustrations in books before would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :) :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not too sure about illustration pricing in the US and we don't commission illustrative work, but I'd just like to remind you to make sure you get the agreement of copyright and ownership clarified with your client right from the start.

What if one of your characters becomes popular? Imagine the spin-offs and merchandise... soft toys, t-shirts, cartoons... just imagine all that money. :p

But seriously, get signatures and written agreements for everything. They don't have to be overly complex, just clear.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'm not too sure about illustration pricing in the US and we don't commission illustrative work, but I'd just like to remind you to make sure you get the agreement of copyright and ownership clarified with your client right from the start.

What if one of your characters becomes popular? Imagine the spin-offs and merchandise... soft toys, t-shirts, cartoons... just imagine all that money. :p

But seriously, get signatures and written agreements for everything. They don't have to be overly complex, just clear.

Thanks for the advice! The character is of their creation personality wise, but I'll be creating and drawing it although it's basically just an animal with a name. So I'm not sure how I'd go about it, I don't want to sound demanding with their book...especially because they're paying me haha. Hmm... *confused* :confused: :eek:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...What if one of your characters becomes popular? Imagine the spin-offs and merchandise... soft toys, t-shirts, cartoons... just imagine all that money...

I can't offer any real advice, but I think you're very talented and would remind you not to forget your friends when you make it big.........mate :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

Just to further elaborate on what Blue has said, any contracts or agreements should be drawn up by a legal eagle that has a fundamental understanding of this type of work.

Otherwise the chances are, that in case of dispute a lawyer will decimate any non-legally binding agreement or the intent behind it, regardless of signatures.

In essence, it would likely not be worth the paper it's printed on.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.