Adware/Spyware programs for the mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roraz, Apr 15, 2005.

1. roraz macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    can you get adware/spyware scanner and removal programs for the mac, as I belive I have some on my computer?

I seem to have some stuff off a company called midaddle on my powerbook, i get popups and interstitual ads when im browsing certain sites. I searched my hard drive and there are some folders called 'midaddle' on it, which i would like to safely remove

can anybody recommend any decent programs?
  2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    A quick google search finds:

Ads in the Middle...

it seems like a company like DoubleClick or PayPopup... annoying companies that get money for ads... seems like it would be safe to just delete those folders from your computer...

But it also seems like a Windows-only type thing, guess its not... just delete the folders or remove them from their primary folders and if theres any problems put them back...

So, this is spyware for the mac... EXCEPT its also not - you agreed to install it with bundled software or something...
  3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    can you tell us more detail about what "stuff" you have on your hard drive from midaddle? what the filenames are, where they are located, etc?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I am curious too.. could be some java crap they dropped on you.. Try emptying out:

~/Library/Caches/Java Applets/