Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
Okay maybe I'm just freaking out but I noticed lately that I'm getting some popup ads apearing out of nowhere( Ever since I signed up for that free Ipod thing).

Maybe it's just me but I was wondering if any of you could recommend any spyware or adware removing software.

I tried resetting safari and it seems to do the trick until i start using it again. The block pop ups is checked also.

Could I try something else? Other then reinstalling the os that is.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
The is no spyware/adware on mac's :rolleyes: that is one of the thing that make it so good ;)

ja0912

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Don't freak out :)

Advertisers recently started circumventing pop-up blockers. No adware/spyware involved.

You're fine.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Are you getting pop-ups, or the new, sneaky, pop-under ads that Safari seems unable to block? If it's the latter, then don't worry, a lot of people are, and it seems to be something to do with the coding of the page you're visiting, rather than anything malicious on your computer..

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Gee said:
Are you getting pop-ups, or the new, sneaky, pop-under ads that Safari seems unable to block? If it's the latter, then don't worry, a lot of people are, and it seems to be something to do with the coding of the page you're visiting, rather than anything malicious on your computer..
And don't forget that these pop-ups are not specifically targeting Safari. I do most of my browsing with Camino. It is susceptible to these ads. They are really targeting pop-up blockers. Only a few websites use these block-skirting pop-ups.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
Gee said:

That's exactly it! whew! :D thanks guys.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Anyone see Dr. Bombay earlier this week? Someone wrote him asking how to remove spyware/adware on a mac. He linked to some Web site but then admitted he'd never used the software. Why didn't he tell the user that there is no spyware on Macs?!?

Okay, I'll answer that. Because he doesn't know s*** about Macs. The bigger question is why he tries to answer Mac questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.