AE base station and USB printing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by janey, Feb 12, 2004.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

i need a new laser printer after my old one broke. Since I would really like to use the space that my old printer occupied for something else and the new spot isnt that large and its right next to the base station, I thought it would be nice to have a small laser printer connected to the base station so I dont have to leave a computer on all the time (nevertheless i do :p)
    I want the hp laserjet 1012 due to the size and weight (tiny!! omfg that thing is tiny!! ;) ) but I dont see it on Apple's list of Airport Extreme base station compatible USB printers.
    Has anyone ever tried using a non-compatible printer? Or is it possible to get a USB to Ethernet converter and use it (since ethernet printers are supported)?
    (i was thinking something along the lines of this for an adapter)

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm using the Epson C84 on my AEBS right now, which while it isn't on Apple's list, I was pretty sure it would work since it's just an update to the C82 that I had before. It's worked just fine. I don't know if that HP you are looking at will work or not though.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for? Kinda pricey though.

3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i can use one of my computers as a print server, so i guess that isnt what i'm looking for. :(

edit: OHHH i see what you mean. Oops :) I still dont know if it'll work if i get that though.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've always wondered what makes a printer compatible with the AEBS. And if you got that little adapter you posted, would that fool the AEBS into thinking it's dealing with a network-able printer?

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i have no idea. i can see why some are, but the others I dont see anyhting in common.
    It might, it might not. Maybe its the printer hardware. *shrug*
    i'm not willing to buy the printer then find out that it doesnt work.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got my eye on the Brother HL 5070N myself. Since I already have a USB inkjet hooked up to my BS I'm wanting a networked laser printer as well. Just haven't saved up the $450 yet...

7. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i dunno...i want a laser printer, most of them out there are relatively large...which is why i want that specific printer.
    i thought about getting an inkjet but i dislike how text isnt always sharp.
    Hrmmm......i think i'll call the apple store and ask first. I know they have a bunch of printers there too, maybe i can find one i'll like.

8. chnmac macrumors newbie

LaserJet 1012 and AE bs

I have the exact same setup that you are considering, and I have to tell you that it works as advertised. Just plug the printer into the USB port and go. The only thing, however, is that you will have to install the LaserJet drivers on every computer you are planning to share the printer with, otherwise you will not be able to set up the printer.

Hope this helps!

9. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

thanks!! i was about ready to consider another printer :)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Has anybody tried to hook a USB hub up to the AEBS and see if you can get TWO printers hooked up that way? I might buy the same printer if that's possible, but I'm probably asking for too much.

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Did for me as well.

Cheers, sir.