Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Is the AirportExtreme Base Station worth the money?

I was looking into the Lynksys (WAP54G) and it's only $80. and it seems to do the same as Apple's. Is this the case? If so, you guy have any other recommendations? Thanks!

~e

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
It depends on your needs. The AE Base Station has 2 Ethernet ports, 1 USB port and an internal modem w/phone port. You can hook-up the AE Base Station to a Ethernet or USB printer and print wirelessly from any computer on the network. Or you can hook-up another computer to the extra Ethernet port and use it as a wireless music/data server.

The WAP54G has just one Ethernet port, which you'll probably dedicate to your Internet access. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can split that dedicated access through a router to gain additional network nodes.

On the plus side, if the only use you have for the WAP54G is wireless internet, the dual antenna is going to give you much better range throughout the house or office than the AE Base Station will. You can buy an external antenna for the AE Base Station, but it's a costly option.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Wrong Lynksys model - get the WRT54G - it has 4 ethernet jacks and wireless G bandwidth. Same price - best buy might even have them for $70

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
carletonmusic said:
Wrong Lynksys model - get the WRT54G - it has 4 ethernet jacks and wireless G bandwidth. Same price - best buy might even have them for $70

Can the WRT54G be used as the Access Point? Would this be comparible to Apple's AE Base Station or better?

~e

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
The Linksys model doesn't have a USB port for hooking up a printer. I use my AEBS for printing from anywhere in my house, without having to leave a Mac on as a print server. I think there are 3rd party solutions to do this as well, in the $120 range, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with Apples/Rendezvous.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Which one of the following Lynksys models would you guys recommend? Value and AEBS compared.

• WAP55AG

• WRT55AG

• WCG200

Thanks, this is really helping me out.

~e

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
First off, the AEBS has only one ethernet network port. The other is for the WAN input. And the signal can easily be split up with a hub.

Secondly, as someone else pointed out, the AEBS has a USB port for wireless printing to a select group of printers (although I hear tell of ones not on the list that work). This is a must if you are an all-laptop household. If not, and if you don't mind leaving one of your desktops on all the time as a print server, than that feature isn't terribly important to you. Just remember, if you want wireless printing in the future, that a 3rd party solution will cost you most of the difference between the Lynksis and the AEBS. In that case buy the AEBS now and enjoy it's ease of use and good looks.

Third, there are two flavors of AEBS, the cheaper one doesn't have a phone modem built in (so no wireless faxing, like you can on the high-end one) and no wireless access over dial-up if you ever move somewhere that doesn't offer broadband. It also doesn't have a port for the optional external antenna, although I've seen ads for antennas that will work with the cheaper AEBS but I think they require you to drill a hole in it.

Bottom line, if you think you want wireless printing, the AEBS is the way to go. If not, the rest of the stuff is not so important and you should go with the Lynksis.

Just my 2¢.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
mactastic said:
Bottom line, if you think you want wireless printing, the AEBS is the way to go. If not, the rest of the stuff is not so important and you should go with the Lynksis.

Just my 2¢.

Thank you for opinion. I like the ease of the AEBS and the printing aspect is an appealing one but at the moment I only have one computer(iMac) and not sure what I'm going to do as far as purchases. I might pick up a laptop eventually and even build a Windozzz box but it's all up in the air. Perhaps, I'm not understanding right BUT I like the fact that you can access your machine from the outside using the VPN(?) with the Lynksys. Is that right? I don't think you can do this with AEBS. That's a nice feature.

~e

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
WiFi printer

I had the same dilema you were in. I ended up trying out a bunch of different WiFi routers, including the Airport Extreme. The Microsoft one worked out best for us. (Go Figure) Anyways I ened up using the money I saved from NOT buying the AE, and used it to buy a HP wireless printer. We needed a new printer either way. So if your in need a new printer, you might want to think about just getting one with wireless built in. We got the combo HP 2510. Very nice printer.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Wireless Router/Access Point

I purchased the D-Link DI-624. I love it it has 4 ethernet ports, firewall protection, and more. Yeah it doesn't have a print server in it but i don't need it right now. If you just need a wireless access point/router, this is the one i would suggest. MacWorld did and thats why i bought it even though i don't have a Mac yet.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
eclipse525 said:
BUT I like the fact that you can access your machine from the outside using the VPN(?) with the Lynksys. Is that right? I don't think you can do this with AEBS. That's a nice feature.

Well, you can always learn how to ssh your way in....

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
djbahdow01 said:
I purchased the D-Link DI-624. I love it it has 4 ethernet ports, firewall protection, and more. Yeah it doesn't have a print server in it but i don't need it right now. If you just need a wireless access point/router, this is the one i would suggest. MacWorld did and thats why i bought it even though i don't have a Mac yet.

Thank you for the recommendation. CNET.com gave it very good reviews as well. Better than the Lynksys. Surprisingly, Microsofts wireless router got a good review as well. I'll most likely go with the D-Link. Thanks again for your help.....

~e

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
What's next for Wifi

I too am looking into purchasing AE, I have an iMac and a 12" Powerbook which would benifet from its features. My problem is that I wonder if something new would be on the horizon that I can wait for. I have a 3 story home and worry about the total coverage and speed of the current 802.11g in comparison to what might be coming in the future. I don't like the current options in antena products to spread its range, and it is costly to buy multiple AE's to get the needed range. I have tried searching on the net for information about the next generation of WiFi, but it seems very unclear. So does anyone know how long AE and more to the point 80211.g will be around? I am willing to wait another year for the next best thing.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
AdamZ said:
So does anyone know how long AE and more to the point 80211.g will be around? I am willing to wait another year for the next best thing.

Most likely, 802.11b will be fazed out eventually and the standard is or will be 802.11g or 802.11a. Both of the latter are pretty much the same for the exception that 802.11g still works on 2.4gHz and 802.11a works on 5gHz. The Airport Extreme Base station as mention is 802.11g/802.11b. That will probably around for a long while. Even if something else did come out next year, it would take a while for it to hit mainstream. Well, that's my 2 cents...

~e

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
eclipse525 said:
Is the AirportExtreme Base Station worth the money?

I was looking into the Lynksys (WAP54G) and it's only $80. and it seems to do the same as Apple's. Is this the case? If so, you guy have any other recommendations? Thanks!

~e

My 2 cents. I just switched over from dial up to Comcast DSL and I wanted a "gateway". Wireless with a cable modem. It seems that there aren't that many of this "flavor" out there. I found a new model from Motorola that fit the bill, SBG 900. It has the Motorola Surfboard cable modem and a wireless feature. Also has one ethernet port, and a usb port (only for PC) and supports both b and g. Bit on the pricey side. Was on sale at Best Buy for $179 and I was able to apply a 10% off coupon and had a $30 rebate from Motorola so it was about $130. BTW, the guys at Best Buy say this particular unit has been flying off the shelf. Anyway, thought this was reasonable for a cable modem and a wireless unit. So far it works great! At the time my G5 1.6 did not have an Airport Extreme so I went out and bought one. Plugged in the AE card and the antenna and turned on the modem. Activated the AE and it immediately recognized the signal. I've done speed test at two sites and I get 2440kbps and 2.5 megabits per second, the tests says excellent. In fact it shows that it's faster than the average cable in my area (Savannah, GA). Only have two computers at home and each has it's own printer so I'm not interested in the wireless printing. The only problem I'm having is with the PC....using XP. It recognizes the signal but I can't get it to get on the internet. I think that this is a XP fault or operator (that would be me of course) fault. Not familiar with XP. By way of explaination, it is my son's computer. Anyway: handsome unit; motorola surfboard cable modem; wireless b&g; price was right and it works great. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.