AE not working in Rev. C 15" PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by powerofthekiwi, Aug 12, 2004.

1. powerofthekiwi macrumors member

Ok - well, it does.... just not all the time

Sometimes when I pop open my PowerBook (most notably at places with "free" internet; ex. airports, coffee shops, etc.) the network will go through the usual thing and I'll join up to it - but I won't be able to get on the internet. When I open safari it says "server can't be found" or whatever it does, and its not just safari, other apps don't work as well. I've used iStumbler to try and help and to check there is no WEP - even it says that there is no WEP and when I click join iStumbler looks like all is well, but no internet. AND when I check the network sys pref pane it has a little green button next to airport, saying it is connected to the internet when it really is not? hmmm... interesting....

It works fine at my house (airport basestation), friends (link sys), school (?), and the apple store - just not always? Arg! So confusing to explain!

I'm running 10.3.5 and my setup is in my sig - Please help I am STUMPED! :rolleyes:

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

It's been my experience (in the last 2 airports where I've flown-through) that to use the "free" wireless, you must download and install some bloatware (presumably available only for Winbloze, which is what my work-supplied laptop is). In Denver, I remember that the download was a whopping 11MB - I don't know WTH they are wanting to fill my machine with, but I'm not willing to do it until they're up-front with what spyware, shovelware, crapware, adware, and/or bloatware is included in that fat download.

Anyway, you are "connected" to their network initially just enough to download the installer file, but you cannot get to any other sites without that.

So, perhaps you are connected to their network in the same way (can only see the download server) but they don't have a Mac version of the crapware and therefore, you are not able to proxy-out and get to the real Internet. :rolleyes:

EDIT: So, I would tend to assume that since your wireless works at all known "normal" places that you listed, that places where it does NOT work probably have some strange proxy requirements or weird adware that they want you to use in return for the free service. Also, a lot of coffee shops make you use certain wireless settings which they either give or sell to you to prevent people from sitting in the parking lot mooching service without buying coffee. Some places (Starbucks IIRC) make you buy a monthly pass with whoever their partnet ISP is (pretty expensive/month IIRC also!)

Mike