AE reception? Ibook & Powerbook (15")...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, May 26, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Hey guys, just reading a few threads and I read a few times that the Ibook has better AP reception that the Powerbook? Whats that about, surly the reception would be the same for the two since they are both using the same hardware (AirPort Extreme)?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    IIRC, it's how the antenna are positioned in the case.

3. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Ah, that makes a little sence... Is this a huge problem or is the difference even knowticable?

Mark.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I've had a G4 iBook and now a 17" Aluminum PowerBook. I've used both with AE and have noticed only a slight difference in reception quality....a little better with the iBook but nothing worth choosing an iBook over the PowerBook.

5. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Thats good to know! You would have thought apple would have tested these things though.. i mean car makers spends ages making this kind of refinment :) it would be nice to see such care with the powerbook. But how could apple put more care in? I mean look at the thing!

One more question. Can you use the AE to talk to another Ibook and or Powerbook, or just to connect to a Wifi network? (Without the Base station). If not how would you suggest getting the two networked?

Mark.

6. tamara6 macrumors regular

Yes. iBooks and Powerbooks with some flavor of airport can connect to any open wifi network. They can also connect to each other, although transferring large files is really slow if one or both is using airport (not extreme). For large files use ethernet or firewire.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the worst reception is from the ti books but the al books are fine

8. Godfather macrumors member

I thought it had to do with the case(material)... not the antenna...

9. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

The metal case in the Al books causes a lil bit of loss in singal compared to the ibooks. But its not that big of a deal. Now the Ti books were so bad due to where there antenna was placed in the ibooks and Al books the antenna is in the screen creating much improved reception.

when i say Al book i mean Powerbook

-Neal

10. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Ah, theres a shame but i guess not really too bad. At least they solved the problem with the antena possition in the new Powerbooks. Just a shame that beautiful case is such a bitch!

In any case i'll try the AE to AE with my friend when mine arives though i don't think it'll be a huge problem, and it is then we can always use firewire or ethanet like you recomended :D. It was more for the possibility of playing games. :D

Later all,

Mark.