Aero on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by clayj, Aug 21, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey, has anyone here managed to get Aero (the glassy Windows Vista effect) to work on an Intel Mac mini?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Doesn't the mac mini have nearly the same specs as the MacBook? If so, I can't imagine it wouldn't work. Just make sure you have at least 1 GB of system RAM.

3. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I did everything I was supposed to (I think), but I couldn't get it to work. 1 GB RAM, lowered video resolution to make sure I wasn't using up all of the video memory on pixels, changed themes, etc... nothing would cause the Aero color scheme to become available. That's why I'd like to hear from someone with a Mac mini who HAS gotten Aero to work.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Offtopic: clayj, what build of Vista are you running and did you have to jump through the previous hoops to install?

5. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

5472, and no special hoops. I did delete the 200 MB EFI partition during installation, so Vista installed without any hiccups. I just can't get Aero to work.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

That's what I'd call a 'flaming hoop of death'. ;)

Thanks for the build number.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Clayj - what's with the new Avatar ? Looks like a blues brother :D

Did you make sure you changed the graphics drivers for the GMA950 listing in device manager to Intel Lakepoint drivers.

Only these drivers allow Glass/Aero on the GMA950

Then in the graphics display appearance option (which is actually fiddly to find in Vista) manually selected the Aero theme ?

Here's the thread where I got aero working on my macbook, I would have thought and hoped it was the same

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=208063

8. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Ah, I think I missed the Lakepoint thing. Thanks for the link to the thread.