AEx Shipping in "3-4 weeks"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JOD8FY, Jul 3, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hello everyone,

I just checked the Apple store online and it said that the Airport Express (AEx) is now shipping in 3-4 weeks. It had previously said that it would ship in "Mid July". Is this considered a delay? I hope not - it seems so many things are delayed this summer. Maybe at least this time they're anticipating a lot of demand and they're bumping up production.

One more thing: Is the AEx going to be available in retail Apple Stores as soon as it starts shipping? I was hoping to pick one up at the store without waiting.

Any info/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless the AEx turns into another iPod mini - which is possible, at least initially - the stores should have them in reasonable quantities about the time they start shipping.

3. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turned out like the Ipod mini. This thing is just about perfect. This does not have a broad consumer base as the ipod mini did so I'm not to concerned about that. Can't wait till it comes out.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yea, I was afraid of that. I don't know how many people are planning on buying this thing, but it could be quite a few. Plus, it has that wireless bridging feature, so some people might pick up a few.

I hope Apple learns from their mistakes...

Thanks everyone,
    JOD8FY

5. macrumors member

I've just checked my order status & it still says 15th July

6. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I wouldn't trust that as mine still says "on or before June 14th"... :(

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Well that's great news! Thanks for the specific info. I wasn't sure if 3-4 weeks meant "August" or "before August". Now, is July 15 the estimated ship date or the estimated delivery date?

Thanks again,
    JOD8FY

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

June 14??? Was it even introduced then? That's strange, but maybe it's a good sign that it's coming soon :D.

JOD8FY

9. macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

My estimated ship date is still 15th July too. I can't wait it seems like ages ago I ordered it.

10. macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine shortly after it was posted on the apple store and my order still says "on or before 7/15/2004."

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

So do you think that chances are that AEx will be in stores on July 15? I just don't want to end up waiting until the 15, finding out the store doesn't have it, order it online and wait 2 months to get it because it's back ordered. Alright, so maybe that's a little overboard, but still... :D.

Would someone at the store know if they'd get a shipment in? Does Apple usually set aside shipments just for the Apple Stores?

Thanks for any info,
    JOD8FY

12. macrumors regular

my order also still shows the july 15th date. so you'll know in a week.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I just checked the Apple Store online and saw that they were selling a refurbished AE card for $79. Aren't they the same price new? However, I thought I saw at my local Apple store that they were being sold for $69.

Any thoughts?
    JOD8FY

P.S. - AEx still shipping in 3-4 weeks... :confused:

14. macrumors regular

I wonder if a lot of these delays

are due to a major storm which hit Taiwan a week or so ago. Did some pretty significant damage, maybe some of Apple's manufacturing/shipping capabilities were affected by it... :confused: