AFA says to boycott Ford for support of gays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    The American Family Association has made Ford Motor Company out to be an evil company that is supporting all kinds of terrible activities. What I don't understand is if they claim to be in support of the family...why would they be going after a company that employees thousands and thousands of US citizens and pays a good livable wage? Doesn't that help support the American family a lot more then Walmart does with their minimum wage jobs? It's like saying to a kid, "Well we are going to protect you against those evil gays, but we are sorry that your Daddy no longer has a job."

I am glad that Ford has stood their ground on this issue. Unfortunatly, there are probably enough right wingers that will either cause Ford to go broke or they will be forced to pull back. In any case, I bought a new Ford last summer and it has been a great vehicle. I will judge the company more on the performance of that vehicle over time then on this issue. In fact, the AFA's hate agenda against gay people and companies that support diversity makes me more likely to purchase a Ford product.
  2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    You see, that's where you're wrong. The AFA doesn't consider families composed of homosexuals to be families at all. In fact, it's the anti-family and the end of civilization.

What the AFA is really advocating here is fascism. It's out to create what it considers a utopia: a country composed of families with one mother, one father, and 2.378642 children (or whatever the current statistic is). It is willing to go as far as depriving people of their livelihood to achieve this goal. We should all print out a copy of the US Constitution, send it to the AFA and demand they read it.
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Wow.......just well wow

Does humanity honestly have nothing to do other than attack other humans?
  4. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The AFA is full of wackos. Ever been to their website? Check it out! It's a barrel of laughs! :rolleyes:
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    On the plus side, they've got a link to a sweet lesbian make-out scene at the website... :rolleyes:

It's scary that people think like this.
  6. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    Do these people have any influence over there?
  7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    some, yes.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Hehehehe, I'm all for hot boy-on-boy cotting at Ford. :eek: Erm, wait, that's not what they meant, is it? :eek:

Hmmm, and who said there's no good reason to buy American? :D
  9. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Rob's sister send him links to their stuff all the time, having no idea what the organization is really about. Of course she has little or no ability to think for herself, so why should I be surprised.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    I'd have no problem boycotting Ford, just because they're Ford. I wouldn't walk across the street for a free one.
  11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Ironically, I may now have to buy a Ford product to demonstrate my support for them against the AssHats who say "I hate you because you refuse to hate the people I hate"

Remember when they or someone like the, pulled this same stunt on Disney, because Disney insisted on allowing same-sex partners to be covered under the family and spouse health insurance?

I'd like to know if that organization uses any Quark software? Tim Gill, the founder of Quark, is a major supporter of gay rights and lobbying against discriminatory laws.
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's most likely that AFA have one licence of Microsoft Publisher and one licence of Microsoft Office, etc. to do all their work. I'm sure they would support Microsoft gladly because it's a benevolent company.

However, it would be interesting to find out how many magazines AFA members read that were created by gay writers, publishers, or photographers.
  13. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    We have a similar political party here called "Family First."

I'm pretty sure one of their official policies is something along the same lines as "if she weighs the same as a duck then she must be made of wood and is therefore???......a witch!!"

You'd think after millions of years of human evolution we'd have grown out of fearing things that are different. Sure it may have helped when we had to deal with large mammalian carnivores (remember, humans and dinosaurs never co-existed, we came about 60 million years later) but now that we've been king of the heap for a good few thousand years you'd think it would help our civilisation to make that big leap forward if we'd just go "you know what? differences are cool."

All this discrimination is so counter-productive.
  14. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Ahh but it's only counter-productive for society as a whole. It is very productive for those who exploit differences to either enrich themselves or enshrine themselves in power.
  15. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    And that's oh-so Christian, isn't it? :rolleyes:
  16. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Why not "Don't buy Ford because they build the worst effing cars ever made" ????

Next it's going to be "Don't buy groceries from actual stores because they employ gays." Or "Don't buy homes because they sell them to gays."

What a bunch of fruitcakes.
  17. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    It almost sounds like heterosexual christians own the word family™.

Same deal with values™.

It also amuses me about how these organisations keep using the expression: pro-[insert a word here]. Like: "pro-life". If you don't agree with them, it makes you "con-life"…*a life hater. :rolleyes: Same deal with pro-family.

Just realized that that AFA link you posted uses both expressions. :D

It's funny/scary what pops up when you google pro-life/pro-family.
  18. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Too bad I hate Quark so much, but good on him. :D There was a rumor Ford was going to remove it's ads from a gay themed magazine, but people protested, so they didn't. Then groups like these started to protest. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. And they were actually worried, because their base could be influenced. Like Disney, they probably figured it would be better to just continue as is rather than cave to the fundies. The bottom line isn't really affected much. They raise a big stink, but people still go to Disneyland and they still buy Fords. Especially with the backlash against groups like this, doubt it'll do much.

They may even wind up gaining a few new buyers for the small amount lost.
  19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Tim Gill left Quark, took the fortune he earned, and this is what he is doing with it:

The Gill Foundation

"Securing equal opporunity for all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression"
  20. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    It's scary to see that site and read some of the articles.

I hope they're not taken seriously down there.
  21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    My first thought. But then I look out my window at my Toyota Corolla and realize I'll have to find other ways to fight this fight.

We need to disempower the nuts this November ...
  22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    That would be the Southern Baptist Convention. For about six months, my mother: 1) refused to consider Disneyland as a holiday resort, 2) stopped patronizing any Disney store, 3) cancelled her Disney credit cards, 4) refused to see any Disney movie, and 5) refused to allow either the Disney Channel or ABC in the house.

Nowadays, she's slowly becoming a lush and can't get enough of Desperate Housewives.

There's a big difference between disagreeing with something on principle, and just being a wacko. The SBC has been off their cookie for quite some time.
  23. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    oh my goodness! now that everyone thinks being gay is perfectly alright, how will we ever be able to teach our children right from wrong? we can't even leave our houses anymore! they're everywhere! corrupting our society and spreading diseases and raping little boys... i say it's time to take on the armor of christ and go to battle against satan! who's with me?? :rolleyes:

morality is inherently subjective. if someone wants to believe in god and base their sense of right and wrong on the ideals of some ancient institution and its outdated dogmas, i have no objection to that. just don't involve me in any of it. we are a nation governed by laws. laws meant to protect the rights of the citizens. and that has absolutely nothing to do with morality.

if i rob a bank, i have done something wrong. it's wrong not because that's what jesus taught us, it's wrong because i took something by force that legally wasn't mine. and so i would get punished. according to the laws governing our judicial and criminal justice systems. but as far as i can tell, the fact that i happen to love another man is entirely my own prerogative and by no means 'wrong'. sure, you can call me a sinner. sure, you can say it's immoral. but why would you even care about how other people are living their lives in the first place? you are wholly unaffected. besides, the way you see it, it just means more room for you when you get to 'heaven'. i love it when people preach intolerance. the more they hate, the more irrational they sound. and the more people start coming to their senses and realizing just how ridiculous homophobia really is.

oh, i hear they've formed a committee to start revising the english language. apparently it's no longer correct to use the word 'secular' when referring to the american government. i believe 'christian' is now the preferred term.
  24. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Sadly, they are.

If their cars weren't such pieces of crap, I'd have to consider buying a Ford just because of this :D
  25. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I bought a new Ford product last year...and seriously it is not a piece of crap. Maybe the junk they put down the line 10-20 years ago was, but today's Fords and especially their Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover products are not pieces of crap.