Affirmative Action harmful to minorities?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by idkew, Nov 11, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Click me

Read the rest in the link.

Discuss.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....perhaps best that this hot topic be moved to the political forum.....oh yeah!

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the real question is: Is preferential treatment beneficial to any particular segment of society? There is no straightforward answer but I think that it is in the short term but doubtful in the longterm. It is one of the reasons that I believe corporate personhood should be abolished. It may have had a benefit at one point in time but that time is long past.

Affirmative action in the 70s looked at skin color and skin color alone. It was an immediate solution to a huge problem but as the problem started to change the solution failed to evolve and that is why we have the mess we have today. I think that affirmative action is still justifiable but I think that other factors need to be taken into account. In the case of college admissions, if the student's parents were college grads then I can't see a reason for granting the student any credit for skin color. I don't think there is any real formula that would apply here and it should be done on a case by case basis.

Colleges in this country rate much higher when their student populations have a diverse socio-economic makeup. It would be stupid and non-productive to return to an era when no consideration is given to those who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth. As this election showed us only too well, the mediocre have a much better chance of succeeding if they are born into the right families. Is mediocrity more important than meritocracy?