Affordable Intel iMac memory in UK?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thequicksilver, Mar 10, 2006.

1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I am soon going to receive a 17" Intel iMac (thanks in advance denial :)) and it is coming with the stock 512MB memory. I would like to top this up by either 512MB or 1GB.

Prices here in the UK for the iMac's memory is too high though. Crucial UK are charging £88.11 for a 512MB stick, and £124.54 for 1GB. These are equivalent to US$153 and US$216. Looking over to US websites though makes these prices look like a rip-off, frankly.

On Crucial's US website, they're charging $99.99 ($89.99 sale price) and $187.99 ($169.19 sale price). Other places like DataMem are charging $64 and $119 respectively, which are less than half the price of Crucial UK. DataMem's 1GB stick is cheaper than our Crucial UK's 512 :eek:. Sadly though neither of these stores will ship to the UK - Crucial send me to their UK site and DataMem don't accept credit cards for international orders.

So I would like to find a cheap stick of 512MB or 1GB memory for the iMac to be shipped to the UK. I don't expect the prices to be quite the same as the US due to taxes etc, but anywhere approaching the US prices would be appreciated. I am willing to ship from abroad if there is nowhere suitable in the UK, but would prefer a domestic seller due to warranty and possible returns etc.

My budget is £40-50 for a 512 stick, and £70-80 for 1GB - cheaper the better if the seller is reputable.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

2. deebster macrumors 6502

Orcalogic were recommended in a couple of threads here last month. Their RAM is not guaranteed Mac compatible but a few posters have said it works fine in the new iMac.

I'd kept the page with the correct RAM bookmarked but when I just came to reload it now the page has been moved. Reason seems to be that the price has gone up from around £77 to £101.

Bad news. Was after an iMac + 1GB myself.

Here's the link anyway. Hope it's right but please do check for yourself to be sure.

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=20700&ft=s&st=2

3. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Look for OEM memory. It is particluarly easy to find cheap OEM meory from reputable sellers on Ebay. I bought a 1GB SODIMM stick for £70 UKP.

4. coot macrumors member

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Ouch. I just traded a stick of old iMac G5 2.1ghz RAM I bought for £40 for a 1GB stick of Intel iMac RAM with someone here on the forums. Maybe worth waiting for a nice deal?

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

7. coot macrumors member

8. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Thanks for the links and ideas everyone. I've rounded it down to two choices.

First is from the Komplett link that coot gave - I *think* this is the right stuff.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308114

And the second is an Ebay link from a US seller. It's a little cheaper, but would obviously take a while to come.

Auction

Will have a think about these over the weekend. Thanks for the advice.