Affordable wide screen/aspect LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nrd, Jun 10, 2005.

1. nrd macrumors member

What do you fellas think is the best (as in bang for the buck) wide aspect LCD monitor?

I was looking into the Dell 20.1", the one that uses the same LCD panel as the Apple 20". But without the coupons, it's about the same as the Apple display, and I'd much rather have something nicer looking than the Dell LCD.

Keep in mind, I'll probably be making the purchase near the end of the summer, and I have the ability to use the student discount from the Apple store.

So, is the Apple display worth it, or is there something else out there better?
    Also, is the 30" worth it, considering it's almost $1k more than what I paid for my new G5? And do you think I'd be able to get 5-7 years of use out an LCD?

2. nrd thread starter macrumors member

3. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

http://www.barefeats.com/image06/dell24.jpg

There's also the 24" Dell display that goes for around $1000.00 with the various weekly discounts sometimes a little less. http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html had a little write-up on it. Apparently, better blacks, quicker pixel response, brighter, etc. Worth considering.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

For the best buy, I would get the Dell, when there are more coupons. At one point into was down to $394. Personally, I think the Apple display is worth the difference, just becuase of the appearance of it. It's just a matter of whether you want beauty or extra money.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah with the recent price drops, the Apple ACDs are actually worth the money.

But if you want to save some dough, a Dell would be a great choice. I have a Dell 1901FP (not widescreen), and I got it for $270, which was an awesome price. And it's an amazing screen too, WAY better than the Samsung 172T I have (they're both still in use).

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The Apple displays are a great investment and will hold a vlue far better than a Dell LCD, SO i would go for the Apple 20"

ShadOw :eek:

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

go with the dell. even w/o cupons just wait and dells site will drop the price. i have no idea when and im guessing be/c of supply levels, but i got mine for 450 (w/o cuppons) and it has been great. i agree it doesnt quite have the style of the apple, but the dell still looks really good and functions perfectly (even a little better since you can have picture in picture as well as multiple computer or other video inputs)