Afghan man faces death after leaving Islam for Christianity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this what we went to Afghanistan for? I'm majorly disappointed. I thought the Taliban were gone. Apparently not. What a bunch of idiots. Wake up, kids- separation of church and state is a GOOD idea. Hmm... maybe the whacko fundamentalists here in the US will wake up. One can dream, right?

KABUL, Afghanistan -- This story contains corrected material, published March 22, 2006.

(The headline as published has been corrected in this text.)

Abdul Rahman told his family he was a Christian. He told the neighbors, bringing shame upon his home. But then he told the police, and he could no longer be ignored.

Now, in a major test of Afghanistan's fledgling court system, Rahman, 42, faces the death penalty for abandoning Islam for Christianity. Prosecutors say he should die. So do his family, his jailers, even the judge. Rahman has no lawyer. Jail officials refused to let anyone see Rahman on Monday, despite permission granted by the country's justice minister.

"We will cut him into little pieces," said Hosnia Wafayosofi, who works at the jail, as she made a cutting motion with her hands. "There's no need to see him."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0603210143mar21,1,938137.story

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That's the Muslim world for you.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

THIS is what we sent our military to protect? You know what? I say we get out of that s***hole now. F*** them.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you didn't get bush's memo -- now there are good and bad muslims. you're still using the old talking point.

plus one point for mindless acceptance, but minus one point for being behind the curve.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Tell me why we should even be supporting these people. Disgusting.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No, that's Afghanistan. Remember, the country we freed from the Taliban and then did nothing. No post war plan, no effort to rebuild the country. Remember?

Isn't Afghanistan the country where we funded Osama bin Laden along with a whole bunch of other Islamists? We actually wanted him to succeed and we taught him a whole bunch about how to beat those evil commies. OOps, he learned his lesson too well and realized that the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

What we ended up doing in Afghanistan was validating the extremists positions on stoning women, public beheadings, and a whole bunch of other nasty things that are rightfully outlawed in the west. Oh, well, at least the Soviets didn't win and that's all that really matters isn't it?

I in no way condone what they're doing but anyone who is so blind to not see that we are in no small part responsible for the continued repression in Afghanistan has a woefully short memory.

Have you read about the woman in Pakistan that was gang raped as punishment for something her family did? Where's the outrage there? Ah, I get it, the case in Afghanistan is about christianity.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

OK, the Muslims over there. Disagree? Let me walk around that country announcing I'm Jewish. Lets see how long I last.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I sure have. More reason to hate Muslim countries over there.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's been going on for 1000's of years, and it's not going to change - no matter how many bombs we drop or how many troops we send over.

If some people just realized this ahead of time, the US could have saved themselves a lot of money and time.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Maybe you need to start redirecting your hate to the countries that support repressive regimes like Musharraf's or Mubarak's in Egypt. Hmmm, who supports them the most? It wouldn't be the US would it?

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine. Then any US forces there should leave right now.

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

No thanks, I'm perfectly happy directing my hate toward the Muslims like the ones in the story above.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, it would. So let's leave.

On that note, here's our wimpy President's reply:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0603220048mar22,1,3100831.story

AFGHANISTAN -- The Bush administration issued a subdued appeal Tuesday to Afghanistan to permit a Christian convert on trial for his life to practice his faith in the predominantly Muslim country.

The State Department, however, did not urge the U.S. ally in the war on terrorism to terminate the trial. Officials said the Bush administration did not want to interfere with Afghanistan's sovereignty.

Well, if we don't want to interfere, then let's get the hell OUT!

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

It appears that pressure from Western countries may be having an impact. I hope its not too late.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/22/world/main1428951.shtml

I wonder if the 'mental illness' excuse is President Karzai's way of trying to save Rahman's life and save face in his country as well.

Some Danish politicians seem to be advocating removing the Rahman from Afghan custody forcibly if necessary:

http://agora.blogsome.com/2006/03/22/danish-politicians-back-rahman-to-the-hilt/

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- so Denmark has to be the voice of reason? I give up, man. Do we stand for anything anymore?

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Let's hope he's found insane, it's probably the only way to reconcile this situation.

17. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Killing poor people for oil?

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Since its become so high-profile, I'm sure that it would be pretty apparent to everyone that the 'insanity' excuse would be a smokescreen. I'm hoping for more than that. Muslims who convert to Christianity in many of these countries are often disowned by their families and friends. I would like an outcome in this case, since its becoming such a visible example, that lets Afghans know there are no legal repercussions to any religious conversion. The personal loss is bad enough.

19. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I agree with you. Bush looks like a sell-out on this one. (My only hope is that he has the back channels open trying to make something happen and didn't want to say anything publicly that would jeopardize that possibility. But that's pure speculation.)

I agree that it is frustrating that we put all that effort into Afghanistan and now we see something like this... but remember we're trying to change a thousand years of culture in just a couple years' time. Its going to be slow, but our presence there and influence will hopefully be able to turn this situation to a better end than what it would have been otherwise.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You are right but at this point in time it would be better smother this case in insanity than fan the flames of fanaticism in the west.

Some christians are also disowned by their families for turning their back on "the true church" whatever that may be. Mormons are renowned for it, and it wasn't that long ago in the west that marriages between christian sects were actively discouraged.

It would be nice if a directive could be issued by the local immans and mullahs but unfortunately, the decentralized nature of Islam and the fact that it is fractured into so many sects makes that an impossibility. Especially at this point in history when so many moderate Muslims feel their religion and way of life are under attack by the west.

I hope this guy gets away with his life but even if he does it'll be a lesson that many Islamists will spread far and wide. Religion can really mess up a person's life, can't it.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, people really are starting to turn on him aren't they? Never thought I'd see you say something like that. I actually did hope he had some kinda backdoor deal in place too, but since we're still hearing of this story, that scenario seems less and less likely.

As for Afghanistan, not only did we not finish what we started, we barely started in the first place. I had friends who were sent from there to Iraq before they even had a chance to settle in and do much of anything there. Regardless of what you may have heard, the fundamentalists still have complete control over the region, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. This is why I'm harsh on extremism disguising itself as religion. Not because I hate religion, because I don't, but because it's too easily perverted and exploited. This has nothing to do with faith, it's about control. They can't have one of their own converting, so he becomes a traitor. I hope the neocons in this country think about things like this when they call liberals and those who aren't Christians things like traitor and unAmerican when they bring up the need for religious freedom, even though I know they won't. This is exactly what can happen when things go too far in a theocracy.

And on an ironic note, Mohammad was a Christian.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

on the other side in germany he minister for foreign politics has to deny that they haven't talked/used a pull out of the german troops as pressure against kabul _yet_

23. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

LATEST NEWS:

Just heard today

Case might be dropped as they say the accused is insane and not fit to stand trial.;)

Still get to keep their extreme ideas of Sharia Law/ Point of principle and dont incurr international wrath
    :cool:

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is the main reason for the problems in the mideast, a religion of jihad, hate and murder. Its why the Iraq thing was a waste of time money and lives. Where Islam goes Extreme Islam goes with it. In the year 2006 we have primitives who want to murder in the name of their stupid religion. Man is a primitive mess and here is yet more proof.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's the military mindset for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.