Afloat alternative? - Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lucas111, Aug 27, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2009
    Hi All,

So I just got Snow Leopard in the mail, and I must say its all going pretty well so far. Except that the program Afloat isn't Snow Leopard compatible.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative program that has the same/similar functionality to Afloat but is compatible with Snow Leopard?

I just want to be able to keep a Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 window floating above all over windows.

Thanks in advance!
  2. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2008
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2009
    Awesome as in that I've gotten Snow Leopard? Awesome as in that's a program that can do what I'm looking for? Or just a un-constructive Awesome?
  4. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2008
    Niether, was posting in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
    Have you found anything.
  5. macrumors member

Feb 11, 2009
  6. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    Mercury Mover?

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be anything on the developer's web site about SL compatibility and the last blog entry was from March. And unlike Afloat, it costs ... $20. Maybe not a good alternative.

7. macrumors member

Nov 18, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've emailed the guy behind Afloat, and he seems intent on making it available for 10.6. May take a bit, but I'm willing to wait. It's a good program.
  8. macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    This is very odd that he says it isn't compatible with snow leopard. I ran afloat in leopard and when I upgraded to snow leopard my afloat continues to work just fine. I did however have to disable plugsuit to avoid errors that plugsuit would produce, but even with plugsuit disabled afloat continues to work just fine so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe just try installing afloat anyway and see if it works, either that or maybe I'm just one of the few that have it working on SL.
  9. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2008
    Same here. Afloat 2.1.1 works without a hassle out-of-the-box after upgrade to SL.
  10. macrumors newbie

May 19, 2008
    Does it work for 64 bit programs like quicktime x and quicktime 7?
  11. macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm running Snow Leopard v10.6.6 - Afloat works fine with Quicktime 10 and Google Chrome but not Firefox 4
  12. c.breeze, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

macrumors newbie

May 18, 2012
    I would really like to see Afloat play nice with Adium. That was the main use I had for Afloat, turning my chat window opaque when not in use... Is there really no alternative to Afloat for Lion OSX?