AFP connection to Windows 2000 Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomBillet, Dec 28, 2006.

1. TomBillet macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a windows 2000 server setup and configured with Mac Services. I can connect to it fine with SMB but according to a software product called "Clients and Profit" I must use AFP. However, when I try connecting to a Windows 2000 Mac enabled share using afp://servername/sharename I get an authentication window. I fill in a valid username and password and upon pressing the OK button then I get a message saying it is unable to mount the share. Is it possible to use AFP to connect to a Windows 2000 server?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

3. TomBillet thread starter macrumors newbie

That was the fix

Thanks simie! I have been trying to find information about UAM and the link you gave me was good reading. Also, I am now able to mount a share using afp as is required by the software. However, after following these posts in this forum, it sounds like smb is the more reliable connection method. I am not sure why the software company requires afp.

Thanks again,
    Tom

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

There are some third party AFP software replacements for the servers that allow better support for this protocol, but they don't come cheap.

But even so is more reliable.