After 10.4.3 Installation, iBook HD SMART: Failing...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stevietheb, Oct 31, 2005.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

So, earlier today, I repaired permission—everything went fine.

About an hour ago I installed 10.4.3. After rebooting, I went to Disk Utility to perform my usual permissions repair—now SMART tells me that the HD is failing.

I am in the process of backing up at the moment.

How seriously should I take this? Could it just be a glitch in the 10.4.3 installation? Is my HD about to fail?

IF my HD is about to fail—any suggestions? I am not under warranty. The iBook's specs are in my sig.

Thanks as always!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

SMART status is a feature of the drive that the OS reads from the drive. It's very reliable, as far as I have ever heard. I'm glad you're backing up; I would plan, sadly, on replacing the drive as soon as possible. There are companies on the internet that do drive upgrades, where you send them the computer and they install the new drive...if I can remember a name, I will post it back. If you are comfortable inside a computer, doing an iBook drive change yourself is feasible, but it is definitely not on the easy side....

3. wako macrumors 65816

just curious...

if he has AppleCare, would it be covered?

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I've done drive replacements in other computers, but never a laptop. I have done RAM and airport replacement in the iBook—how much more difficult would this be?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmmm...it sounds like you probably have the technical skill, but it will be a two hour job, or so, be forewarned, from what I understand. There are threads here about it. Also, if you google, there are service manuals of sorts floating around the web which can be downloaded, and which have step-by-step instructions with pictures. There are just a lot of pieces and little screws and stuff involved....

If you have trouble finding a walkthrough on the net, PM me and I can send you the one I found, because I think I saved a copy on my drive.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

http://pbfixit.com has great guides. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though, screws are easy to strip and hard to remember where they all go. You just never get it back together the same either. If you're picky like me, one edge aligned wrong is enough to drive you crazy!

7. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Looking at guides and tutorials, I don't think I'm adventurous enough to try it myself. I'd definitely be interested in sending it off to a repair service. The only one I've looked at so far is PowerBookResQ. Does anyone have any experience with this outfit? Do their prices and services look reasonable?

I'm very worried, obviously, about sending my machine to some sketchy place.

There is also TechRestore which is advertised on this site.

8. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

If I do decide to do this on my own, does anyone know of any crazy deals out there. I'd be wanting a 60GB 5400 RPM drive (don't want to spend more than $100).

I'm always worried that I'll order something that isn't compatible.

Thanks!